bought a new demon coil...solve problem??

spetz01

Well i've tried all I can think of. Pulled the plugs again, checked the wires for resistance...(Live wires had WAY less than stock) changed DIS back and forth...

So I guess a new coil???

Which 2 are dead?

You are using the correct plug wiring diagram? Some (I can't remember which books) aren't correct.

Maybe a broken/flaky injector wire that opens up when bumped?

Vince

like this?

3 6
2 5 cly.
1 4
1 2 3
4 6 5 coil.

Thats what my book says and the lettering on the coil

Kinda like that theory on the injector wires...it's tight on the passenger side and the connectors are a little brittle. I'll go through then when I do the new coil. Use electric grease?

like this?

3 6
2 5 cly.
1 4
1 2 3
4 6 5 coil.

Thats what my book says and the lettering on the coil

Kinda like that theory on the injector wires...it's tight on the passenger side and the connectors are a little brittle. I'll go through then when I do the new coil. Use electric grease?

3 and 4 fire together. What you posted is wrong.

Here is the correct order.

PlugandWireLayout.jpg

David

sorry typing error..

I have it the correct way. (as per your diagram)

Last edited:
GRRRRRRR!! All I wanna do is drive this car!!

Ok, so tonight I pulled off the SC, again, re checked the vac lines, pulled all the injector plugs, pulled the plug wires and re installed very carefully...

nothing...

same thing...

sputters to life...revs up, runs somewhat smooth, idles down and chokes out.

Can you confirm that the car is running on only 4 cyl? Doesn't really sound like running on 4 to me. Depending on which cyl. aren't firing, the car should run on 4, just really lumpy.

Just to cover all the bases:

- you did re-seal the ic tubes "properly" right?
- did you pull the plugs when you had the blower/wires off? Any indication of rich/lean/which cyl. aren't firing?
- have you pulled codes? If you want to borrow my scanner (autoxray) to pull codes or see sensor values, let me know.

Vince

My code read says its running on 4. As for symptoms like IC tubes, I don't think so. Mine have silicone couplings and seal quite easily.

Glad to see thought theres another car in Edmonton though.

There are a few of us in Edmonton; "Flex" is one who posts here regularly.

My code read says its running on 4.

What code #'s? AFAIK, there is no code that directly relates to being down 2 cylinders unless you are talking about the cyl. balance test results.

Vince

If it idles smooth, probably not a coil/dis problem. If you have a timing light, you can check for spark on each cylinder to be sure. Also doesn't sound like injectors.
If its not a vaccuum leak (checked w/ propane?), which it sounds like, checked fuel pressure? You can hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on.. should run solid for a few seconds. Also the first part of the KOEO test will run the fuel pump.

I have a pressure gauge right on the fuel rail and I've regulated it at 50 psi. That worked last summer.

pulled the chip out of the ECU as well today and if nothing else its worse. Starting to back fire more now and won't idle at all. Very rich fuel smell in the exaughst...I'm missing on some cylinders for sure I think.

Who wants to buy this piece of Sh*&

You are not taking the correct approach here.

Fuel pressure should be set at 40psi unless you have dyno tuned it elsewise.

If the plugs are black they will never fire properly. Get new plugs. Autolite 103's gapped at .045.

If it's backfiring there are generally only two causes of that. 1) cam sensor timing is wrong, 2) firing order is wrong. Check both. "I think it's right" doesn't cut it. Make sure.

Personally, I'd put another set of plugs wires on it. You could have damaged one. It's happened to many people many times, don't think it can't happen to you.

These cars aren't really that hard to get running. Most often there is something obviously wrong that you are overlooking.

OK I think I've got it under control. I tightened to new IC tube couplers to the point of collapsing them. NO MORE BACKFIRE!!

Now it idles and seems to run OK. I took it around the block and at lights in neutral the RPM"S would fluctuate beetween 1200 to 1700ish...The top IC tube that attaches to the IC has a slight whistle. Since the couplings were hot I managed to slide it right to the base of the IC. Solved that problem too.

There seems to be a slight "pulsing" under boost (8-12psi) not sure what that could be

My plug wire are brand new..as are the plugs (autolites from SCP),they are gapped at .50.

She still smells rich..Once I get it tuned and pull some numbers I can work on that, guy up here can program the chip, hopefully Tuesday.

I have an electrical issue with the new fan, I'll start a post or look for an old one to fix that.

Thanks for the help guys

Back