Would you call them?

Wanted1990SC

ok, so I got my 1990 SC off of Ebay with 50,000 miles on it. Showed up with a bad AOD and what appears to be a junkyard motor. I just got the title and it had the owner who traded the car in to a dealerships name and address. A white pages search turns up their phone number. Would you call them to get the full story on the car? The body and interior are in excellent shape. They even had the AC converted at a dealership and the AC works. I just feel weird calling complete strangers.

Why not? What have you got to lose? They may tell you that the car was a great car, but after the hgs were popped, they drove it to the stealership and were told it cost more to fix it than the car was worth. Then...you know.

Chris

Well, I'm afraid of what they'll tell me. Sometimes it's better off not knowing!!! (and being happy with what i got) lol

I've got pics of the supercharger with the junkyard scribble on it. I'm wondering if the Supercharger went and Ford didn't want to rebuild it so they went and bought one from a junkyard. The guy that did my AOD asked "Are sure that thing only has 50,000 miles on it?". Which made me more skeptical.

On a side note, the shop owner owns a 89 SC. It's a cream one with blue cloth interior. It's got 90,000 miles, but the motor is blown and it was sitting in front of his shop. I should have taken a pic with mine parked next to his, but I didn't even think about it.

Last edited:
Does the "junkyard" scribble look like this?

Alt_replacement_002_Large.sized.jpg

Im told these markings are factory.

I've seen that on a few other blowers from Ford...I don't think you're looking at a junk yard part. My 91 and 93 have both had similar markings like that on the blowers.

-Tim

No, this is the writing i'm talking about. I still haven't gotten up the nerve to call the people. Now, not because I'm afraid to talk to them, but I'm afraid to find out I spent too much on the car. Right now, I'm kinda happy with it.

Attachments

• scribble full.jpg
    scribble full.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 129
  • scribble.jpg
    scribble.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 163
No, this is the writing i'm talking about. I still haven't gotten up the nerve to call the people. Now, not because I'm afraid to talk to them, but I'm afraid to find out I spent too much on the car. Right now, I'm kinda happy with it.

that would be for sure junkyard writing. Most yards(around here anyways) use paint markers to cover their own butts cause most people would return their old part and tell them that the one they just bought was bad, so i will say for sure that it is a junkyard scribble. If i were you, i would call the old owners to get the history of the car. if you spent to much on it, what can you do about it now? it's been to long so you cant return it... the work is already done, the money is already gone, and you are happy with the car, right? so whats the worst they can say? I dont wanna talk about it, or i just spent $1000 at the dealership on getting head gaskets replaced and we traded it in because the tranny was bad? Or then again, you may get alot worse....it's up to you, but I know if i was the old owners and really liked the car, i would be happy if you called me and told me that it is being taken care of and fixed and driving again. let us know what you decide. Or give me the number and names, i'll call them. LOL

-mike

Last edited:
I just went back and looked at the Ebay pics the seller had listed, and there is not any of those markings in the picture they posted. I would say that the vehicle was misrepresented, and all who were watching/ bidding were misled.

View attachment 26330

That is the actual picture taken from the auction.

Last edited:
I just went back and looked at the Ebay pics the seller had listed, and there is not any of those markings in the picture they posted. I would say that the vehicle was misrepresented, and all who were watching/ bidding were misled.

View attachment 26330

That I would have a problem with. I would contact the seller/ebay and whoever. But than again, put up a link to the ebay auction. If they stated "AS IS" there wont be much you can do. All he has to say is that he doesnt have a camera and he got the best pics he could find to represent the car in the best way he could. "AS IS" is a good CYA for selling used anything.

your right about the as is part however if its a junkyard motor there is no way to really tell how many miles there was on it motor , so the fact that the auction said that it only had 50,000 would be a lie he would have had to put unknown, so if he didnt you could probaly get him on that fact , and then throw in the fact that it wasnt the same motor as in the picture , you might be able to get something back for it

Looking at the 2 pictures posted - what you have and what was listed it looks like the Blower and intake plenum were swapped.

1. Note that the plenum in your pic has the Ford Label on it - the Auction pic doesn't..

2. The obvious markings...

Out side of that I mean if you look at the oil cap, it's in the same direction, the front tentioner pulley have the same grove in the pulley...

My gut says they swapped the Blower and that's it. Still shaddy however I don't think you got totally raped on the deal.

-Tim

I know, that's why I was wondering if they just swapped the supercharger. He gave me $800 back for the transmission. I don't want to sit there and go to court and what not. The guy wasn't going to cooperate with me if it came down to that. That's why I wanted to go to the midwest meet the weekend before last so some members could check out my car. Maybe i'll just give the former owner a call tonight.

Are those the same engine?

View attachment 26330

There's something strange about those two photos of the engine. In the seller's photo of the engine, there's no vacuum line in the front of the intake plenum just past the throttle body. In the buyer's photo, the vacuum line is there.

I wonder if the seller's photo was Photoshopped. Or that's not the same engine.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX Sport

Looking at the 2 pictures posted - what you have and what was listed it looks like the Blower and intake plenum were swapped.

1. Note that the plenum in your pic has the Ford Label on it - the Auction pic doesn't..

2. The obvious markings...

Out side of that I mean if you look at the oil cap, it's in the same direction, the front tentioner pulley have the same grove in the pulley...

My gut says they swapped the Blower and that's it. Still shaddy however I don't think you got totally raped on the deal.

-Tim

I agree with Tim, its the same motor or engine bay. The obvious markings are little things like the oil cap, the tape on the DIS. Its the exact same. I think they swapped the blower. They must have used a pic from when they bought it or something. For you to get it that dirty with a pic that looks that good. They misrepresented the item. Unless it was "as is"

your right about the as is part however if its a junkyard motor there is no way to really tell how many miles there was on it motor , so the fact that the auction said that it only had 50,000 would be a lie he would have had to put unknown, so if he didnt you could probaly get him on that fact , and then throw in the fact that it wasnt the same motor as in the picture , you might be able to get something back for it

If he has a junkyard receipt that states 50k on the motor they cant do anything. When you buy one from the JY you have to take them on their word or you dont buy it. And we all know they always guestimate mileage.

So far, I'm happy with the way the car looks inside and out. It has an original bumper and it's pretty straight with like one door ding. The paint looks good too. I'll call the original owner tonight and see what they say about it.

Cars are not sold by mileage on the motor though, just mileage on the car as a whole. It was kind of shady to not disclose the blower change though and have pics that dont match what you get.

yes they do guestimate milage, but that still means that he doesnt know for sure how many miles are actually on the motor, so therefore he is supposed to state that he is unaware of the actuall milage when he sells the car , on the title under milage he isnt supposed to put in his guestimated milage cause that is fraudulent if I recall, when I bought my car all the guys stuff had a guestimated milage but when I took him to small claims the fact that on the title he put unknown is one of the only things that saved him from losing. So just speaking in my experience you have to write unknown if thats not the original engine and you dont know the exact milage

ahhh...well. I'm thinking of just putting a new long block in it anyways with roller rockers and a cam. Also, ordering the MPx power package #2. The wheels are already turning on that one. As I was saying, I'll just be happy with what I got. A straight body with clean paint that looks original as far as I can tell.

Back