Anyone done this or know someone who has for body work??

A1cntrler

I was out looking at my bird today and thinking of the estimate I got for fresh paint/rust repair on the 35th. I was thinking back to high school at the same time, as this is the car I wanted then, and it hit me. We had an auto body class at my school. I did not take this class, however remember seeing the cars that were in and out of there. I was going to contact some of my local high schools to see how I could go about getting it in there to get the work done. I'm sure they would like the challenge, and I would think it would be cheaper than a dedicated body shop. I would assume that I would pay for materials and a bit more.. What do you think of this and have you heard of it being done before??

You may end up with a Maaco type job maybe not. Its something to contemplate but not if you are doing a full resto of a 35th.

it would depend on what you want done, i was in an auto body class at a tech. school for 2 years, the teacher would probably have the best students in the class work on it

I checked with our local technical college. They told me they would be roughly half a commercial shop. Unfortunately they would only handle collision repairs not rust.

sean

So not too many have faith in the class instructor or students?? I'll have to look into it more. I figured it would be a good candidate seeing as I have no real timeframe. No rush to get the job done...

In 1976 I took a class at the local votech in body and paint and we were allowed to work on our own personal cars. That is where I learned I had a good instructor and it was a night class and cheap.You might want to look into your further education. Check with your local school system.

My dad took the local Vo-tech paint and body class at night to paint his Harley. He painted his Harley torch red to match his 02 Z06. He said most of the people in the class were doing their own projects.

I have a friend who is a teacher at a tech school. He told me that you will save loads of money if you have them work on the car and it will come out fine since they don't want to get the car back in bad shape with the schools name on it. He did say however that it will take a long time and usually theres a long wait period.

Back