tranny questions

RGuy

I'm considering to swap the 5 spd out of my '93 T-Bird for an AOD.

IS the bell housing different on the AOD for the V6 and V8 engines?
Is the transmission electricly controlled?

Is the lockup on the convereter controlled by the Computer?

will the computer need to be swapped?

Rob

RGuy said:
I'm considering to swap the 5 spd out of my '93 T-Bird for an AOD.

IS the bell housing different on the AOD for the V6 and V8 engines?

Same bell housing.

Is the transmission electricly controlled?

In a 1993 it's all hydraulic, but you will need the AOD wiring harnass for the speed-o and gear sensors.

Is the lockup on the convereter controlled by the Computer?

Neg. It's all within the Torque converter.

will the computer need to be swapped?

Rob

In a 1993, nope. Your all set. Just do the swap and have fun!

same neighborhood, different house

just out of curiousity, having already swapped my 4r70w for the 5-speed, supposing I decided I wanted the consistancy of an auto, could I just throw an AOD in there??

"In a 1993 it's all hydraulic, but you will need the AOD wiring harnass for the speed-o and gear sensors."

if I need the wiring harness for the speedo and gear sensor won't I need the computer too?

what gear sensor are you talking about?

Thanks.

the AOD I found is out of an '88 Mustang GT. Does the AOD use a Throttle valve cable?

Thanks.

RGuy said:
"In a 1993 it's all hydraulic, but you will need the AOD wiring harnass for the speed-o and gear sensors."

if I need the wiring harness for the speedo and gear sensor won't I need the computer too?

what gear sensor are you talking about?

Thanks.

No, you will not need the computer because the computer currently requires a gear sensor and speedo sensor anyway. These hvae nothing to do with how the car shifts. The car shifts via hydraulic pressure that is all preset within the AOD.

There is a gear sensor that tells you what gear you are in. My 5-speed has a 5th gear and Reverse Gear sensor. It's a simple plug-in that goes from the bottom of your stereo through the bottom of the car.

the AOD I found is out of an '88 Mustang GT. Does the AOD use a Throttle valve cable?

This will not work. At least not for long. The AOD from the SC uses a more powerful OD acuator than the other AODs do. The OD band is also wider. If you are going to use it, then get it rebuilt to SC specs, otherwise it'll be trash fairly quickly.

Cato,

Your in a different boat. I am not sure what would happen. That tranny is controlled by the Computer....even though you switched out the trannies, it may not be running right if you did not put in the 5-speed computer. I would stick a 4r70w back in the car. They are MUCH better trannies and hold up a heck of a lot longer.

Back