PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems

bowez
04-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Got it all back together finally, just one problem. It cranks and will get the occasionally fire but no run.

Using all my old ignition hardware except for the Cam sensor/unit.

Battery low/bad or something else? I can get it up to about 12.6 but drops and if try to crank and a few tries (about 30secs) drops to 11.75-12.0

bowez
04-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Was a weak battery.

Now it will start but sounds awful. Hear squalling metallic sound and what sounds like a loose nut in the bell housing area. Will run for about 10sec make this noise and then stop.

No codes.

Another question, My oil pressure gauge is reading 0 when running (have and Autometer gauge in A-pillar, though it pegs out w/ key in Acc position), does the Autometer guage require its own sending unit or is the OEM good? My orginal engine had a non OEM sending unit and I left the OEM one on the donor engine.

hodian
04-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Yes, the oem sender and "gauge" is actually just a pressure light. The sender simply gorunds or doesn't, it doesn't send any kind of variable signal out.

bowez
05-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Well got it "running" but only ~25PSI on the oil.

Now am I just looking at a non-primed system (my last motor I didn't prime and it ran just fine), a bad pump or restricted pickup; or is there something else that causes low pressure?

Would low oil pressure make that noise too?