charging system help!!!!

x182dan

Ok so I've ran into a little problem and was looking for some help. As some of you know I put a 302 in my 94sc. The car isn't charging at all. It seems as if the 5.0 and the 3.8sc both get activated by the battery light on the dash. The altenator harness has one wire that runs from the alternator to the dashboard for the battery light. I was told that when the light goes off it grounds the wire letting the alternator charge. Is this true? If so I have problem because the battery light does not come on when you first turn the key on like it should and yes I have tried changing the bulbs

but the rest of the car ignition turns on right? can you start the car? does the car run like crap? does it keep running? or does it eventually die out...???

if it really isnt charging, you need to have the alternator tested...

I physically checked the battery when the car was running and see if the alternator is charging it. I know it has something to do with the light on the dash.

ummm, u used a tester right on the battery? what was the voltage?

couldnt tell you my mechanic checked it, I don't remember. He said the car is def only running on battery. THe alternator is knew. I found out today through some electrical diagrams that one wire on the alternator goes a fuse in the junction box so I'm gonna change that and hope thats the reason.

maybe this can simply be your alternator crapping out... i thought the light only comes on when it falls below a certain voltage and amperage...???

but you should really get the alternator checked out...

maybe this can simply be your alternator crapping out... i thought the light only comes on when it falls below a certain voltage and amperage...???

but you should really get the alternator checked out...

When you first turn the key one look your battery light will go on for a second and then go away. When the battery light goes off that I believe grounds the wire to the alternator and thus lets the alternator charge

The battery light has nothing to do with activating the alternator. If however it is not properly hooked into your system you will have an incomplete circuit thus no charging. (being you are using factory harnesses) That is why i asked you the othe rnight if it was charging properly to begin with and you said yes. I have a feeling no being you never had enough run time to discharge your battery. I would just wire up the alternator independatly of the dummy light

The battery light has nothing to do with activating the alternator. If however it is not properly hooked into your system you will have an incomplete circuit thus no charging. (being you are using factory harnesses) That is why i asked you the othe rnight if it was charging properly to begin with and you said yes. I have a feeling no being you never had enough run time to discharge your battery. I would just wire up the alternator independatly of the dummy light

I am not using the factory 94sc harness I have the 5.0 alternator harness since the 94sc one was way short because of the placement of the alternator compared to the 5.0 engine. I did noticed that one wire coming from the plug on back of the alternator goes to the junction box fuse and that wire is not there on the 5.0 harness.

Dan but you are wired into your factory SC harness AKA dashboard aka dummy light. I have a feeling soething is wired wrong and mayeb even a bad alternator..You can bring it in and have it bench tested. I fits good just wire it independantly

2g is stock on 89... does your voltage meter work? if it doesn't you may have a problem with the ignition switch... their is a wire i think tan/green that has to +12 volts with the ignition on to power the regulator in the alternator to give out power.. if that wire isin't getting power the alternator won't charge.. if you want i can go check to see which wire it is... im not sure its been a wile

its fixed, it turns out the pin for the light was bent instead of connecting with the plug so now its fine. Charges like a raped ape

Last edited:
Back