Car not starting

V6Sprout

OK just finished a SC swap into a 98 Mustang this weekend and the car won't start now. We got spark, and got fuel, and I removed and reinstalled the cam sensor in exactly the same position, ( had to change over to a SC timing cover) the crank did not move while it was out, I verified it by the timing marks, I know it didn't turn over at all. We also tried putting the stock tune back in the car to see if it was the tune and the same thing happens. It really sounds like a timing issue. So I spun the cam sensor 180 degrees, 90 degrees, and even just afew degrees and every time the exact same thing, it doesn't get any closer to starting when in different positions.

When I press on the schraeder valve fuel comes out but it doesn't spray out, it pours out a good amount then stops, but no spray, when you hold down the schrader valve while priming the motor it sprays out a lot, so I am thinking maybe the injecotrs are sticking open and leaking the pressure out, but the car doesn't even try to fire, so I don't know if all 6 injectors could be leaking, at least one should try and fire right?

Any thoughts?

Also we had to change out the crank sensor for a different one, cause it broke when we tried to remove it from the timing cover, if the crank sensor was bad, would I still get spark? I don't think I would.

well got a new tune with the PATS turned off and now we get a blinking theft light and still no starting. Which is common when the PATS is turned off and shouldn't be so we are gonna turn it back on. Tomorrow we are going to install the stock injectors with stock tune and it should run cause it did before the install, we can stay out of boost or just disconnect the blower to act as though its a NA motor again so the stock tune should work for the time being, if it doesn't then we know for sure its something electrical.

We may also try a new CPS, maybe this one puked on us, who knows.

no vids but I got some pics of the motor. I'll get them up soon.

WE are still having an issue though, it now runs but we are getting a popping sound out of the drivers side tailpipe, he doesn't have an h-pipe, he has true duals so we know its a problem ont he drivers side, the passenger side exhaust has a smooth pulse to it, the drivers side is irratic. We checked the plugs and #6 was fouled of course, #4 was also but not as bad, #5 was fine but a greenish tint to it. #1,2,3 were all fine with a slight greenish tint as well.

If you rev it slowly it revs up fine, but if you give it gas even remotely quick it pops and stutters, would that be considered spark blowout? I am going to change the plug wires and see if that hgelps at all, sinve if it was spark blowout it would do it on both sides. We already tried changing the IAC, and coil pack, may try the TPS as well. When taking it for a drive its very sluggish, feels like no power, gotta check the by pass valve as well but it worked fine on my car 2 days ago so I dont' see it being that. I took my blower and put it on his car.

On a side note I got my 10 rib pulley setup today WOOT!

Is this an SC motor/EEC/ignition system or just the intake manifold and blower ? Sounds like you have a couple of the plug wires crossed on the driver's side of the motor.

David

Its a Mustang EEC with a SC blower/intake. The bottom end is still the mustang bottom end, so it will have a slightly higher compression ratio, same as my motor. I have had the wires off and on a few times so I am sure they are right, I thought of that too, its so darn puzzling. Gonna replace the wires, maybe one wire went bad or got damaged who knows, but we'll see what happens.

Gap the plugs lower...

Make sure there's no vacuum leaks around as well, they can be nasty for idle problems and revving issues with a blower.

My Supercharged RX7 I put together had the same problem, in my case, it was the AFPR that was dumping wayyy too much fuel at idle.

- Tech

Last edited:
solved the problem, it was bad wires, either that or it just didn't like to run on Mustang wires, swapped in SC plug wires and she runs grreat now, lots of power and smooth:D

Back