My electrical problem is becoming ever stranger...

Johnny_Squirrel

Ok, I've been working on diagnosing my wierd interior light electrical problem for a few days now, and I've found out some really freaking strange things.

First of all, the original problem I was having was that my interior lights would not come on when I opened the doors, but if I used the manual switch they would come on.

Besides that problem there were a couple other things that didn't work on the car. The trunk light didn't work at all, the keyless entry pad is dead, the inner console compartment light won't work, and the power mirrors don't work.

Now, THIS is where the whole problem confuses the CRAP out of me! If I turn the interior lights on manually, the trunk light will then come on as well. I started to catch on and tried the power mirrors and keypad and such with the lights on, but they still didn't work. One strange thing I then noticed is that if I had the PASSENGER side door open and the interior lights on, the middle console light would then also come on!

Now here's the kicker. With that door open and lights on, the power mirrors and keypad then worked! If I shut the passenger door then they stopped working!

This has to be the most messed up electrical problem I have ever dealt with. I don't know if there's a bad relay somewhere, or if wiring is messed up, or if even just the headlight switch is bad (which makes no sense with the whole passenger door thing). I'm taking the car to the good Ford dealer here as I do NOT want to try and figure this out.

Heh, anyone EVER have a problem like this?!

he he

thats kind of funny!!!!. sounds like some major wiring problems to me.has it done this ever sense you owned it (mirrors not working and such)or did it just start this.

It's been like that since I got it (only two weeks ago). Remember, it sat for over a year and a half in the same spot, but the owner mentioned he was having some minor electrical problems when he drove it.

It's a shame I can't see the car as electrical problems was one of my hobbies with earlier mustangs. I would have to have the electrical manual in front of me to be sure about this, however it sounds like the main hot feed or always on circuit for interior accessories is faulty. The passenger door sends a feed along to the same input as the main feed and as this is direct current and not ac current, it works fine that way. If you have any electrical expertise at all, I would suggest trying to determine the condition of the main feed into the supply branch, such as perhaps the headlight switch or multi-function switch, and see why it isn't hot. Just the one feed or fuse that services that side of things if bad can cause this sort of thing. Sorry I can't be more help to you.

Well tbirdsc35th, that does give me some ideas... so perhaps after work tomorrow I'll look into it some more.

And hey, if you lived in Minnesota then you could easily help more! But either way, I'm sure it's probably some simple problem. Honestly, that's the only thing really wrong with the car. Besides being annoyed at times with my possibly worn clutch and the fact that my rear end oil looks like crap and has happy little metal sparklies in it, the car is in damn good shape for what it has been through.

Hmm, I really gotta get my Pioneer deck in this car too, as I have no radio at all. I'm going to be completely re-wiring the whole stereo system, as I don't want anything to do with the factory amp setup, which I think is already fried (unless it's somehow tied into the same electrical crap I've been having to deal with).

Thanks again for the help.

I hope I've helped some. don't mean to sound like a know it all. Just been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Another thing that used to drive me insane was how someone would wire up an aftermarket stereo and absolutely butcher the wiring. If your car has had a stereo put in aftermarket, don't assume a damn thing. :) If they used the wrong hot wire to power the thing, they could have fried any circuit they used. Just take your time, be patient, and do what you're doing here, ask people who have been there. You'll find the problem I'm sure.

Good luck and have a great week.

I happen to remember this link, http://www.tune-town.com/Cars/stuff/Ford/thunderbird_8997.htm , from my favorites when I was looking around one evening. I don't know much about them but they seem to have the right kind of harnesses for what you might need once you have repaired your electrical problem.

Also this link, http://www.installdr.com/home.html , may be helpful. It has some documents, pdfs, that you can download that will show wiring schematics. Just a thought. Good luck to you.

Service Bulletin

Check out this service bulliten for your problem. It makes sense that it could be the grounds, particularly if turning on/opening/closing certain things effects the other.

I am not sure if this site allows .pdf files for attachments. If it doesn't, try the mn12 performance web site and dig around till you find TSB-89-6-6. It is titled no start on the link but once you open it, it will make sense.

By the way, no pdf files, they should change that!

Rock

I had a similar problem after rebuilding my stock shifter. I guess when I was removed the center console to get the shifter housing out I shorted a wire or something. My power mirrors, interior lights, door dinger, keypad entry, center light, etc.. would not work. The fuse number that runs all this is 18 and it will be a blue 15 amp. Check that fuse and then go from there.

Thanks for the link Rock! That actually makes complete sense to me, so I'll have to look into it tomorrow since I don't have to work. I'd check it out tonight, but the cable on the left side of our garage door decided to snap, and lets just say some good ol' spring action took the whole wood frame off the ceiling, so I'd rather not mess with opening it manually tonight (especially with both my parent's cars in front of it).

Thanks for all of your help guys. It's nice to know that some people have a good idea about these problems. I love this car and really want to get it into shape.

What U have is a ground problem. Get a wiring diagram and look for the ground thay is in comon with all the items that dont work.

Hello Erie

Dustin
I grew up in the big city of Titusville and always had family in Erie. Live there 95-97, miss the area minus the spring snow. (seems like it never stopped!)

When I get over to visit my Mom I'll watch for your car.

Rock

(stuck in Jersey)

Eh, I know Titusville. The snow never stops in this area...it just plain sucks. To be more exact I live in Cambridge Springs which is less than 20 miles from Titusville. I can't promise you'll see my car around...if I have to do another repair like the door pins and bushings I'll probably sell it...they were a bitch (one of those few hour jobs that turn into an entire day)! I'm hopin' to find a few other SC'ers around Erie and maybe even have a meet one of these days :rolleyes:. Although I am use to only seeing 2 SC's in this area per year and they are for sale.

Back