Ignition problems

emporio

Well lately its been getting warmer around here, so I have been turning on the A/c.

Now I've noticed that whenever I leave the car off for a while, then try to start it up while the A/C is on, the engine will idle rough, and today it even ran for a few minutes than died out. This only seems to happen when I try to start the car with the A/C on, but never while its not off?

Does anyone have any related experiences? If or If not, can someone please give me an idea as to what could be causing this problem.

Thanks in Advance!:)

my first guess is that you have an AC problem. Either compressor or the orifice tube is blocked. Either will cause a huge load and will kill the engine. Put gauges on the AC ports and see what the pressures do just after startup with the ac on. I fear that the high side will go real high just before the engine dies.

-keith

Great, thanks for the reply/

However I just tried to start it, and the same problem happened, so unfortunately it's not the A/C. I think it might be the fuel filter? Because sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. I am confused, I know it's not the spark plugs because they were replaced around 5000 km ago. Any more ideas on the problem?

what does the tach do? If it bounces wildly, or doesn't move at all, dis or cam shaft sensor... you can remove the cam sensor and it will start but will be difficult starting..
best guess I have for now
Keith

Mine does exactly the same thing. I was told to check the battery and see if the alternator is putting too much juice to the battery to keep the engine from dying. Is yours still doing it? The only other thing I can put together from looking around on these boards is that the IAC might be getting clogged or going bad. I hear that fords are bad for that...

The RPM doesn't bounce wildly, only by like 100 or so, but its still enough to feel it shake.

I have it being diagnosed and its going to be fixed, I hope its nothing serious, but we will see.

My dad's friend is a mechanic, and the thinks that its some sort of sensor, and that its flooding the engine with fuel, but I will know for sure soon enough.

I will keep you all informed so that if anyone else runs into this problem, they know exactly what it is.

Alright, so the problem seems to be fixed.

So Friday I took the car down to a shop, and they guy said they'd take care of it. About an hour later, I get a call, he says hes found the problem, moister in the wires or something around those lines, and he said that fixed the problem. Alright, so about $100, I get the car back. It runs BETTER, but it still doesn't fix it. So I call the guy back, he says its no problem and to bring it back in. We spend about 2 hours there, meanwhile the mechanic tries to diagnose the problem. I can see my car, and he has a diagnostic tool hooked up to it, he is under the hood doing something( generally cleaning things up I guess) and the guy tells me to leave the car there Sunday night and hell look at it in the morning because it needs to run cold for the problem to happen. Being the good guy he is, he doesn't charge me a dime because he said he should have diagnosed it properly the first time.

So Sunday morning, I start the thing up, and it starts without a problem. The thing runs perfectly now, I don't know exactly what he did, but he fixed the problem. So to the other guy, it's nothing major, so just try to get it diagnosed and then take it from there. I would also be interested as to what the problem was.

Back