throttlebody coolant delete question

mywhite89

The previous owner of my 89 did the delete for coolant passage through the throttlebody.
Is there any reason to not just get rid of this line as well? (link below)
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26339&d=1178113350

At this point, the previous owner just used this line to link the inlet and outlet line that come out of the heater core. I may just seal the ports for those two lines off and call it a day. I didn't know if this was kinda like an H-pipe of the cooling system though!!

Thank you Tim Groth for your time in finding this line for me and posting a picture of it

Last edited:
If you can find something to cap that will hold the pressure. I wouldn't use vacuum caps.
What I did was use the hard lines that came with my '94 engine, no crossover.

Nick

In doing so, you will be eliminating the heater core.

Ummm....no. '89 (maybe other years too) have a smaller line that runs in parralel with the heater lines and runs a small amount of coolant through the throttle body. That is what the OP wants to eliminate.

Nick

I deleted all the cooling lines on my engine, just ran a new coolant hose fromt he lower intake to the heater core directly, and then one from the bottom of the water pump directly to the other heater core fitting, bypassed everything else including the oil cooler.:D Haven't had a problem. The oil cooler is not the best anyways as it only cools it to the temp of the coolant anyways, I may install a good oil cooler later on. None of the BLOWN mustangs use oil coolers so I know I will be fine without it, its good tohave but will be fine without it for now.

Ummm....no. '89 (maybe other years too) have a smaller line that runs in parralel with the heater lines and runs a small amount of coolant through the throttle body. That is what the OP wants to eliminate.

Nick

thats correct I wont be deleting the heater core. The small line runs PERPENDICULAR to the two lines that come out of the heater core. That is what you meant to say.

I don't think it will hurt anything, so I am just going to rig up some kind of cap to delete it.

I deleted all the cooling lines on my engine, just ran a new coolant hose fromt he lower intake to the heater core directly, and then one from the bottom of the water pump directly to the other heater core fitting, bypassed everything else including the oil cooler.:D Haven't had a problem. The oil cooler is not the best anyways as it only cools it to the temp of the coolant anyways, I may install a good oil cooler later on. None of the BLOWN mustangs use oil coolers so I know I will be fine without it, its good tohave but will be fine without it for now.

The thing is, I doubt the factory put a oil cooler on the car for no reason. I am sure it plays a halfway decent role in cooling. I wouldn't have deleted it until you bought a seperate oil cooler, but thats just me. Maybe they arn't seeing problems now, but you will get more life out of an engine with an oil cooler on it.

Everything was designed for a reason, the n/a birds didn't have it but the supercharged ones do. Gotta be a reason behind it.

Last edited:
Quite the opposite is the reason for it---it warms the throttle body on cool mornings and helps keep it from frosting on the inside

The thing is, I doubt the factory put a oil cooler on the car for no reason. I am sure it plays a halfway decent role in cooling. I wouldn't have deleted it until you bought a seperate oil cooler, but thats just me. Maybe they arn't seeing problems now, but you will get more life out of an engine with an oil cooler on it.

Everything was designed for a reason, the n/a birds didn't have it but the supercharged ones do. Gotta be a reason behind it.

True true, it does some good for sure, but ther ehave been no issues with no oil coolers on any supercharged V6 Mustangs, and we have some guys running a lot of HP, but I will eventually put it back on cause its better to have one then not, as FORD saw the reason to put it on in the first place, I just want a better one :)

Back