Rebuilding rear suspension...

Kit Sullivan

What is involved in rebuilding the rear suspension? I went to get an alignment and the rear wheels were shown to me to be moving back and forth (top edge of wheel in/out) quite a bit.
How many bushings are there to replace, and are there complate asmmeblies that need replacing or just bushings?

thats the rear upper and lower control arm bushings... common problem they go bad all the time... new bushings can be had for about $40 a piece make sure you get the better made ones or you'll kick yourself in the anus in the long run

i think i seen a kit with all the rear control arm bushing for $160... if i come across the link again i'll post it

If you wanna do a complete rebuild of the rear suspension you're gonna need a rear knuckle bushing kit $165 which I beleive is only available in poly.Bill at scp sell all the parts you'll need.You'll also need the upper control arm inner bushing 2ea they have a little eccentric in them $30ea,lower inner c/r bushing 2 kits 4 bushing total $21 ea kit,2ea toe compensator links $49ea,then while you're in there if you want you can replace the rear diff bushings,and the sway bar end links.These prices are from bill at scp I checkeed around last month before I ordered from him and the prices were on par with every other place I checked.You'll also need a press to do the control arm bushing.The knuckle bushing you can do without a press.Oh bill's # is 1-513-697-6501 or supercoupeperformance.com.If you want to buy from somewhere else rockauto.com also has great prices.I beleive you can only get the knuckle kit from either Bill at scp or victor at spinningwheels.

Hope this helps
Jay

does anyone have a tech manual page or step by step write up of rebuilding the rear suspension? my 89 sc needs it bad (i autocrossed today and had severe wheel hop, fun none the less though!) what kind of shocks and springs does everyone run? i think i'd like to lower it a little bit too.

Hey Kit, I was curious on whether or not you completed the rebuild, and the difference you noticed.

No, haven't had time yet. The car has been sitting under a cover for the last couple months or so, and its too F'n hot and humid in Florida in July to do any work in the driveway. When I get a chance I'll take it one of our shops and do it there.

does anyone have a tech manual page or step by step write up of rebuilding the rear suspension? my 89 sc needs it bad (i autocrossed today and had severe wheel hop, fun none the less though!) what kind of shocks and springs does everyone run? i think i'd like to lower it a little bit too.

Just get a haynes manual it's all pretty self-explan.If you're gonna auto cross it then koni yellows are the only way to go.Springs just take you're pic there are numerous different companies that make them for our cars.

Jay

thanks for the reply Jay! Yellow koni's is the route I was heading. Does anyone have any experience doing the inserts? I think I remember looking at a thread and it didn't look too difficult. Thanks.

thanks for the reply Jay! Yellow koni's is the route I was heading. Does anyone have any experience doing the inserts? I think I remember looking at a thread and it didn't look too difficult. Thanks.

They are easy to do all you have to do is cut you're old front struts drill a hole in the bottom of them and put the new inserts in takes about 30 minutes or less to do both sides.

Jay

Back