my own 302 project, PICS!!!!

ben m

a>

yep carbureted!
a>

homemade headers! i took some long tube mustang headers and they almost fit the chassis, but im using gt40p heads, so the sparkplugs hit the tubes, so i cut them up, flipped the drivers side upside down and rewelded MY tubes from mandrel bent mild steel exhaust pipes! fun stuff!

much more to come...:cool:

it is out of a '99 mercury mountaineer. im expecting an easy 300 at the crank with the carb and headers, prolly about 350-375 with a better cam. the
gt40p heads flow quite well for factory pieces. they have huge exhaust ports for a small block ford! :eek:

Looks cool. How many miles are on your 302? You'll have to do more then a simple cam swap to make 375HP. Good luck with your project though. How close is it to running?

Shane

what else besides a cam swap? i already have a high rise intake, 750cfm carb, 1 5/8" headers, 3" exhaust with "h"pipe, and an accel high powered ignition, i guess we'll have to see!

i have to install the fuel cell, run the AN lines, wire the fuel pump, put a new gear on my distrubutor, put new plugs/wires in, wire up the starter and the battery, and then fix all the other problem i come across!

p.s. your new pics are awesome!
and about 75,000 miles

Last edited:
what else besides a cam swap? i already have a high rise intake, 750cfm carb, 1 5/8" headers, 3" exhaust with "h"pipe, and an accel high powered ignition, i guess we'll have to see!

i have to install the fuel cell, run the AN lines, wire the fuel pump, put a new gear on my distrubutor, put new plugs/wires in, wire up the starter and the battery, and then fix all the other problem i come across!

p.s. your new pics are awesome!
and about 75,000 miles

I'd say a good set of heads and a high lift cam would get you close to 375HP. I know that you'll have to do a stroker kit to get you to 375RWHP but a solid 330RWHP is cery easy to obtain. You might find that you have to big of a carb for what you are doing unless you want to run nitrous someday.

Thanks for the complement btw :D

Shane

you have to big of a carb for what you are doing unless you want to run nitrous someday.

idk, shelby put 750cfm carbs on 289s and they had awesome top ends, and the boss 302s had WAY to much induction, but they still performed! i think that 302 like to have too much way better than too little, but i would rather be running a 650 holley, but this one was free!

idk, shelby put 750cfm carbs on 289s and they had awesome top ends, and the boss 302s had WAY to much induction, but they still performed! i think that 302 like to have too much way better than too little, but i would rather be running a 650 holley, but this one was free!

I was going to say my 650cfm Mighty Demon is just a little to big for my combo but oh well. I got a good deal on it so I had to have it. There is a formula that the folks at Jegs use to determine how big of a carb to go with. The formula takes into account cubic inches of your motor and max RPM that you will be running to. Add both numbers together and divide by some number (I forgot it) and the number you get back is what cfm carb that you should run to maximize your combination. This is how I know that my 650 will be a little to big and might need jetted down for my motor. I think after plugging everything in it said that I needed a little over 600cfm to be good.

Shane

Back