Hard to start / stumble after A/C kicks in

forever3

1990 3.8SC auto, 50k original miles

Here's a head scratcher... engine turns over fine, it just turns over 5 or 6 times before it fires. After it does it seems to run okay unless the a/c kicks in right away, then it stumbles, sometimes stalls the engine. If you put it in gear while it's cold, still wants to die, but none of these things seem to happen if the engine is warm, and it has a fresh tune-up. No codes, and it runs fine other than that. Any ideas?

Last edited:
1990 3.8SC auto, 50k original miles
After it does it seems to run okay unless the a/c kicks in right away, then it stumbles, sometimes stalls the engine. If you put it in gear while it's cold, still wants to die, but none of these things seem to happen if the engine is warm...
:eek: ~ "Well, mine tends to do the same thing, and I attribute it to a really low idle to begin with, and then the EXTRA load of the A/C clicking on. REMEMBER, after all, these are only 6 cylinder engines. I have driven a LOT of 6 cyl Fords that this was common on. Do you recall the INFAMOUS Mustang II ? It had a FOUR CYL engine that when you hit a stoplight with the A/C on, the engine WOULD kill! Learn to live with it, I guess!" :(

If your A/C is turning on when the engine is cold, it shouldn't be doing that. The CELO (cold engine lockout) switch is supposed to prevent it.

If it does the same thing when you crank the wheels side to side it could be motor mounts. That's what mine used to do when it still had low miles and bad motor mounts.

If your A/C is turning on when the engine is cold, it shouldn't be doing that. The CELO (cold engine lockout) switch is supposed to prevent it.
:confused: ~"Okay then, here's a good question for you. Most of the summer in Arizona is about +115 degrees or so, and I've been thinking about installing a "REMOTE-CAR-STARTER", so I can start the car from in the house, and let it "chill" a bit before I climb in. The question is .... is it okay to turn the car on with the A/C in the ON position? That means that the compressor would kick in as soon as the car fires up. Also, I'd have to leave the A/C ON when I shut the car off." :eek:

:confused: ~"Okay then, here's a good question for you. Most of the summer in Arizona is about +115 degrees or so, and I've been thinking about installing a "REMOTE-CAR-STARTER", so I can start the car from in the house, and let it "chill" a bit before I climb in. The question is .... is it okay to turn the car on with the A/C in the ON position? That means that the compressor would kick in as soon as the car fires up. Also, I'd have to leave the A/C ON when I shut the car off." :eek:

The switch will not allow it to immediatly engage the clutch, it will gradually turn on the blower motor then it will engage the A/C when the engines warm enough...

So, yes, you can.

Back