Sub-wolfer

G

Guy Montaquila

Sub-wolfer

Hey guys
First I would like to say that this is a great board and I hope to learn a lot from all of you. I just bought a '90 SC 5 spd this past year and like all of you I LOVE IT! I want to keep it stock for now.

Here goes my question. When I bought the car the sub-wolfer was broken so it was removed. Should I replace it with the original part or should I upgrade? If keeping original do I buy new or used? If upgrading, what set up is best?

Thanks in advance

Re: Sub-wolfer

If I were in your shoes, I'd upgrade. The stocker was only like 6.5".

I have no idea on what would be the best for an upgrade, though. I'm still stock. :)

Dale

Re: Sub-wolfer

If U don't have the original box get an after market one that will fit. You will need the stock amp or replace it too. If U still have the box go to Wal Mart and get the 6.5" subwoofer thay have and put it in Ur box. The bottom line is how much $$$ U want to throw at it.

mine went out on me, and i just went to radio shack and picked up their $20 6.5 woofer. sounds fine back there..cheap too

I have to replace the sub

I hear 2 suggestions so far, Walmart or Radioshack 6.5"

Any other suggestions?

Also, how do you get the plastic box apart.
I've taken off all the hardware and screws....it appears to be glued together.....

Subwoofer - suggestion

I believe either JBL or JL Audio makes a 6.5 inch subs which fits this application. Others that have used it say it is much better sounding than stock. I have also heard an 8 inch sub can be fitted to the existing box with a little modification, and this would sound excellent.

thanks and last nite I experimented with different Walmart subs connected to the stock amp.....no luck getting anything even close to good. I then realized how important the sub is to the stock JBLs....which have very poor low end. The sub is completely necessary to add this low end transition. These Off the shelf (cheap) sub enclosures don't appear to fill in the necessary bass end.

So I imagine the design of having the bass coupled right in the rear deck is important.

My other SCs don't have the JBL system....and I put in Polk 572as in one and have complete contentment with that setup.

One has to really decide if they can live with the tinny stock JBLs when for about $250 you can get MUCH better overall sound out of the basic 4 speakers.

Last question then.....can you just disconnect the sub amp if that's the case....with no problem?

Here's what you want...

Hey man,

I faced the same dilemma as you. What I did was change my entire system. I bought 2 pairs of Boston Acoustics 5x7 speakers(the bottom of the line models)from a Good Guys store for about $119 a pair. I bought the cheap detachable-face Pioneer CD player that they have at Wal-Mart for about $130. I then bought a JL Audio 10w0-4 subwoofer off of ebay for about $75. I then went to Radioshack and bought their 2-channel, 200 watt amp for $99. I also bought a small sealed subwoofer enclosure from Wal-Mart foor $30. The amp cost me $60 to install, the deck $30, and I now have a sound system that will blow away any factory sound system. It cost me about $740 total, and it's so far the best money I've put into my car.

Sorry for rambling,

Steve

Thanks for the input. So you're saying you took out the stock sub amp and replaced it. I can't remember if that procedure is in the forum, but if you could simply describe that please do.

I also don't remember if anyone mentioned what the power of the stock sub amp is...but it doesn't seem to have the guts to drive the store bought 10inch sub, at least in a separate enclosure and through the back.

Also if someone could please comment if it's Ok to simply disconnect the stock sub amp....I'm assuming that's no problem if I decide to forget about that.

I just wanted to let you guys know that I just replaced the driver (sub-woofer) and kept the original setup. I bought a dual voice coil sub from Parts Express for about $20. Its all hooked up and it sounds pretty good.

The best part of this is that the guy I bought the car from deducted $200 off the price of the car because the sub was broken. What a deal!

vettewars, to answer your question, you can just disconnect the sub/amp. That is how I was listening to the radio til I fixed the sub. It sounds bad, but at least you can still listen. Just disconnect the connector on the driver side of the car.

Thanks for all the replys.

I searched every way I could, couldn't find the Parts Express 2 voice coil sub....but I found a PIONEER C16EU20-52D 6-1/2" POLY WOOFER....frequency response down to 52Hz....I don't know if that's the one.

Please specifically tell me what you got. But I have a feeling the Pioneer would work cause it will supply the necessary bottom end.

Last but not least, I'd still like to know how you get the plastic 2 piece sub box open to put the speaker in!

vettewars, sorry its been a while since I've check my threads. Here is the site with the sub-woofer I bought.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/show...29&St3=67091329&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=7559&DID=7

As for getting the box apart. Make sure you have all the screws out first. I'm not being sarcastic, because when I was taking it apart I thought I could leave the bracket for the amp on. There are a couple of screws under the bracket. After you get the screws out, then I just used a screw driver to get it open. It has some sealant that holds it tight. I recommend replacing it when you put in a new sub. In fact Parts Express gives it to you for free. Good luck!

no sub

i haven't put a sub in my car but i think it sounds great already i put in 2 pairs of 5x7 infinity refrence speakers from electronicsbonanza for 135 shipped and a sony head unit cdx 8050 sounds freking awesome can't wait till i put the infinity basslink in

I ended up going with the walmart jensen sub in the tube....about $40. It's tolerable with the stock JBLs...but still there's a hole where more bass and forward mid range should be.
I think the solution for this low cost project (have to put the bucks into the exhaust) is to simply add a couple polks in the rear.

I have a set of Polk 5X7 in my other SC and the sound is considerably better than what the stock JBLs could do unless there's a quality sub plus higher bass end included.

My basic theory is that the stock sub, connected into the car deck, has extended bass range and actually operates to provide the necessary regular bass end, not just the sub end.

Personnally, I think the most satisfying and long term tolerable sound is to have quality mid with adequate bass, not trobbing bass.

ok...heres what you do...

check ebay....look for an 8" sub from polk, kicker, jbl, JL, infinity, etc....dont spend more than $40....try to find one with the highest sensitivity rating you can....build a box out of mdf for $5...now you will have solid, tight bass that is WAY better than stock for under $50.

An option is to box a sub and run it off the stock sub amp. My stereo was shot: head unit, door speakers and sub. Put in an Eclipse cd and Boston RX87's in the doors and a cheap-ish 10" Rockford Fos Punch in a premade (sealed) box. All run off the stock amps, which were in great shape. Not too boomy and it's not a high end/high wattage speaker so it works well off this amp. Just right to balance with the other speakers, but it isn't going to blow you out of the car by any means. The box isn't too big, so it doesn't take up a lot of space:

fd4a0bcf.jpg

yes, don't know the wattage of the stock sub amp...but I'm guessing it's around 30 or 40 watts.....it was just sufficient to run the walmart jensen sub...and I imagine yours is more efficient a speaker so that should be a pretty decent sub for the car.

VetteWars:
Its actually got 6 screws in it, so don't try to pry it apart.
Here's what I would do thats cheap:
1. keep your factory JBL speakers. the're pretty good.
2. get a 6.5 JL Audio to put in speaker sub box- its about 75 dollars.

Back