best way to install engine?

tondog

i know that there is no easy way to install it, but what is the easiest way to get it in? drop the exhaust, move the tranny, install the motor then slide the tranny into the motor? or, try to maneuver the engine in and slide it into the tranny? it didnt come out too easy because the oil pan was hittin the cross member. it wasnt the most difficult but also not very easy.

When you took your engine out, did you have to remove the accesories in the front, ie water pump, power steering pump, etc?

Any tips you have?

I have to remove 2 this weekend, have one tore down and ready to go, but the other is still completely intact.

I pulled the motor and tranny as one, and then put it back in as one. It went in and out relatively quickly and easily. Mine is a 5spd. I left the exhaust manifolds on, but had to unbolt the motor mounts from the block to make it easier. When I put it back in, I had the motor mounts already sitting in the engine bay (but not bolted up). I also put the motor back in with the water pump and exhaust manifolds already attached. I did have the SC unit and both pass side and driv side acc brackets off to make it easier.

If you are putting just the motor in, it would probably be easier to get the motor in first and then put the tranny back up in there and bolt it to it (It is a pain to try to line up the input spline of the tranny with the engine while trying to get the engine in there and lined up with the motor mounts)......just my thoughts.

Back