Idler problem

D-bird

I changed my harmonic balancer a few months ago, probably about 3000 miles and I got new Goodyear Gatorbacks (stock sizes) belts and I'm looking at my car today and notice that the idler pully off of my alternator is being worn out. As in the plastic pully is being worn through, has anyone had this happen to them before???

~Darrel

the plastic pulley could have been worn before the new belt but it just happen to wear thru after the new belt. replace it with a metal pulley, i use dayco 89016 as they're a little wider but work perfectly, bought them from rock auto for $14 each.

They don't last forever. . . I had one disintegrate on the way home from work about 6 weeks ago. All that was left was the bolt, washer and the bearing. The jackshaft to supercharger belt was trimmed by about 50% of its width. First clue was the smell of burning rubber followed by a high pitched squeal. I replaced it with a steel Cobra pulley that I bought about 7-8 years ago. Do a search for the Dayco steel pulley part no. as the Cobra pulley number that comes up has been replaced by something not as wide.

Back