92 AOD Trouble - need feedback

fopsie

:confused: I have 92 SC with 124K miles. Took it in to a shop for coolant flush, brake fluid exchange, tranny flush and fuel system cleaner. Tranny was working perfectly at the time. I picked it up and had no 4th gear. Works perfectly in 1, 2, 3 and Reverse. Checked plastic fittings for accelerator linkage near carb and they seem solid. Any chance they could look ok and still be bad? Also, tranny fluid was over filled. Has anyone had any experience like this? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? Would appreciate any help available. Thanks

Does it slip when it shifts to OD or does it not shift at all from third, just rides third on out??

Answer to question

IT seems to shift out of 3rd gear but does not engage 4th gear. Engine revs like it is in neutral.

So that means it is slipping. This usually the first failure of all AOD trannies. Fourth is usualy what goes first. It has nothing to do with having it serviced or overfilling. Just coincidence... It is one of three things. Valve body(i doubt), Od servo or spring broken (likely), Od band worn out (usually the case). At any rate it needs professional attention.

It's possible that the fluid that was removed had enough clutch material floating around in it to hold OD. When the fluid was flush, the clutch material went with it and not OD isn't holding.

Yep your OD band is toast. Just a little tip, if you have a old car and your sure the fluid has not been changed in the trans ever leave it alone untill it blows. The AOD seems to fail right after fluid changes. Try some of the lucus trans fix or some other brand.

Could be worse...You could eat trannies....like Kurt....that might be expensive...especially at the dentist office.

My 90 AOD overrevs a little going into OD, and sometimes shifts hard under normal acceleration. It has been through twice, but checked out ok (but not by SC people). Also, the original owner said it started around 70k miles, and it is still running strong to this day with 165 on it. I have no idea what is up with the thing.

Back