AC differences early(r12) late 134a

kpatton

Does anyone know the differences between these 2 setups?

134 should have a larger condenser, is the compressor the same? hoses ( execept for fill fittings ), evaporator, dryer ?

My r12 is showing signs of fatigue and wanted to know what late model parts I could put in to make the conversion to 134a more efficient..

thanks,
keith

I just did the 134 change over to my SC last week....

I have not had AC since freon was about $5.00 / lb. :eek:

I put in a kit called EZ Chill from Advanced Auto......

Cost about $35.00 and everything seems to be alright....

It comes with three cans of 134, but with a completely empty system, you will need an additional can.....

Does anyone know the differences between these 2 setups?

134 should have a larger condenser, is the compressor the same? hoses ( execept for fill fittings ), evaporator, dryer ?

My r12 is showing signs of fatigue and wanted to know what late model parts I could put in to make the conversion to 134a more efficient..

thanks,
keith
Keith, I converted my white car to r134a about 5 years ago. Because the compressor had failed, I replaced the condenser with an aftermarket one with smaller tubes which was much more efficient. I would recommend it if you decide to switch.

Some people have had success using the original condenser, and thats OK if your compressor is good. If the compressor is bad, you should install a new condenser as the old one cannot be flushed reliably.

Next thing is to flush the lines and evaporator, install new Orings everywhere, install the correct fittings, install a new accumulator, fill w/ 8oz of the proper oil (Ester or PAG), use a vaccuum pump for 45 minutes to boil out any water, and let it sit to test for leaks. Then charge it up w/ 32oz of r134 and see how it goes.

Now... after having said all that, here's something to think about. Freon (R12) is dropping in price due to the fact its not much in demand anymore. Cars that used r12 originally will work best with r12 hands down. Might be easier just to replace the orings, and accumulator, reoil and just use r12 again. :cool:

I just did the 134 change over to my SC last week....

I have not had AC since freon was about $5.00 / lb. :eek:

I put in a kit called EZ Chill from Advanced Auto......

Cost about $35.00 and everything seems to be alright....

It comes with three cans of 134, but with a completely empty system, you will need an additional can.....
Actally, they (AC guys) recommend using 80% of the original r12 amount which was 40oz. which works out to be 32oz. 3-12oz cans is 36oz. That should be more than enough, might be a bit too much.

Good to hear from you. Hope you have survived the recent storms..

My ac is slowly getting less and less efficient, haven't put gauges on yet but usually it is sign of valves getting weak/leaking in compressor.. Hey it's been working hard since 94 so I guess its about time... My dark blue gets hot in the dallas summer and takes forever to cool the cabin down ( has been a problem forever). Since I would be swapping out the compressor, thought I would go to a newer style condenser ( 134a) to help it out a bit. While I was at it, I was wondering what other changes fomo made at the factory to switch from r12 to r134a, orifice tube ?? so I could retrofit mine to a later model 134a setup, instead of a conversion.

Back