What kind of MAF is this? (pics)

Bacondoggy

Ok I bought a MAC cold air intake used for my SC for $49.99 + $10 on ebay! (a steal I know) AND to boot - it came with a MAF - as I look at it, I notice its not stock. I don't think its a C&L - I have one of those.
It measures 80.5mm and 73.5mm in the back (twards the TB). ALSO, on the bottom, it says "Japan". would my computer need to be tuned/recalibrated toi use this?

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

89-92 is a 55mm while the 93-95 is a 70..Thats a 70mm MAF..same as 93 Cobra...Its the second gen Ford MAF style..The first being the one you saw on the 89-93SC

on the left is an 89sc maf, on the right is a 94sc maf.

Attachments

• mafs and ic 008.jpg
    mafs and ic 008.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 54
  • mafs and ic 010.jpg
    mafs and ic 010.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 59
so I can put that right on my 91, correct? The computer will have no problem re-learning the change in size?

so I can put that right on my 91, correct? The computer will have no problem re-learning the change in size?

any time you change the mafs theres a chance that your car won't run good. Even with the c&l and pro-m mafs you really still need a tune. That mafs you have is def. not a c&l unit because it doesn't have the sampling tube, I'd say its a stock one off of a 93+

You can use the 94-95 MAF on your 91 just change the sensors and you should be able to run it with no problems.

-Tim

the early models are 55mm for 30# injectors. In 91 they changed them to 70mm for 30# injectors and 94 they went to 36# injectors still on 70mm.

That's a stock MAF as was stated above. No "calibrating" or tuning is needed to run that MAF. Factory MAF's are not calibrated for ANY injector size. All SC MAF's have the same output curve. They are just stock.

Newer, larger Ford MAF's produce a different output curve and won't work with any injector size without a tune.

the early models are 55mm for 30# injectors. In 91 they changed them to 70mm for 30# injectors and 94 they went to 36# injectors still on 70mm.

Ok I have a question about this. I had an 89 that got totaled. When I got my 91, it had a C&L MAFon it. So would an MAF from an 89 make it run bad? And what does a "calibration" consist of?

Did you take the C&L maf off and put on the stock maf from the 89? Might better let XR7 handle this one too, as he's the go to guy around here.

Ok I have a question about this. I had an 89 that got totaled. When I got my 91, it had a C&L MAFon it. So would an MAF from an 89 make it run bad? And what does a "calibration" consist of?

yeah, when I was trying to troubleshoot the car, I figured having everything as close to stock would help alot, but it seems like I could have created another problem, if I did indeed put a smaller MAF on it. Would this create the car running lean possibly (I would think it would run rich if anything due to less air then it thinks)? But I changed the whole MAF with the sensor as well. So I am going to put this 70mm MAF and sensor on it and see if that helps things...

The difference between the 70 and 55 is practically negligable from anything you would feel..If its running bad something else is up I'd like to say. Ive swapped these back and forth with no issues whatsoeveer on many different cars even if they are slightly different

Back