Bubbles in overflow

sickatea

Just replaced head gasket on my sc. After turning the car on for the first time, the car runs very well, took car for a ride, but seemed to have a small miss at idle on occasion. Checked coolant overflow, and had bubbles.
Turned off car and let cool, took off radiator cap, and started car again. Car ran very well, no bubbles in radiator until thermostat opened and coolant started to move in radiator. Then I did see the occasional bubble.
The car runs very well. but do have the occasional miss after car runs for 10-15 minutes.
During the head gasket project, heads got pressure tested, resurfaced, copper spray on gaskets, new TTY bolts(found out they suck), fancy torque angle gauge was used. Everything else was brand new. EXCEPT the radiator cap.
I did fill with coolant through the radiator, then looked up and saw the spout of the top of the thermostat much later. Refiiled through that, but have not turned the car on since...
Car is not burning oil or antifreeze through exhaust, not leaking coolant anywhere, seems to run strong except for the occasional miss after running for a while.
Any help would be great

It's not unusual for it to take a couple days of driving and several heat cylcles to purge all the air from the cooling system. Be sure to keep the overflow tank filled to the cold level after the car is completly cooled to keep it from sucking in more air. Suggest replacing the radiator cap too.

No idea why it develops a miss after running a while...is this a miss you can feel while driving and the motor is under a load or more of a stumble only while idling ?

David

Thanks for the fast reply,
the miss is only at idle, when the engine is under load, is revs up like normal with no hesitation.
Feels like normal when driving, the big problem is now, i bought a bunch of new toys to put on the car, but waiting until I feel im good to go before i do them. Next is i plan on going to carlisle this year, be a big problem with wife and two year old to break down.

If it just happens at idle with no load, then ignore it. Could be something like a little extra drag from one of the accesories (like alternator when cooling fan starts).

David

I did fill with coolant through the radiator, then looked up and saw the spout of the top of the thermostat much later. Refiiled through that, but have not turned the car on since...

The spout you see at the top of the thermostat is not for refilling. It's for letting air escape. You fill the rad up through the cap. Then just "crack" that spout a little bit until the air gets out and coolant starts to leak out of it. Then tighten it up. (You may have to burp that spout 7
or 8 times (or more) over the course of a few days before you finally get rid of all the air).

Back