Auto Transmission questions...

Kit Sullivan

The tranny in my 35th Anniversary is starting to act up a little(slow engagement and odd shift points at random times), so I'm just going to put a reman unit in.
My company leases space to a transmisson shop, and he gives me a great deal on any work I need. He did an AOD for my 90 Mark VII for $500 and I have already put over 100K on it without issue.
I know he always puts a #1 servo in them (whatever that means) and a couple of other upgrades.

He tells me that the AODs intended for 6-cyl cars have a 1"-wide drum/belt assembly, while the V-8 installations have a 1.5"- drum/belt assembly.
Now, he isn't sure if Ford put the heavier-duty version in the Super Coupes or not, due to the Super Charger producing so much extra low end torque. I would assume Ford would have useed the better one, but you never know with Ford...

I know there is a Ford 'Motorsports' rebuild kit available for the AOD that gives a little lower 1st and 2nd gears for better acceleration...anybody familar with this?

I don't intend to drag-race the car, or really drive it hard. Just normal old-man antics: Sedate driving most of the time with a little tire-smoking action every once in a while.

Anybody here have any suggestions for a couple of recommended upgrades?

A wide-ratio kit will give you the lower 1st & 2nd gears, I believe it will also give you a 2" OD band. I'm not sure what the standard size of the OD band is, but I assume it's 1.5", just like the V8's. I don't have a wide-ratio kit, but the thing I heard that I don't like is that the 1-2 WOT shift rpm is about 500 rpm higher than the 2-3 WOT shift rpm. Of course, since you won't be racing yours, it probably won't matter.

The SC transmission is stronger than the LX transmission (even V8) and it comes with a "A servo". Not sure what a #1 servo is.

I'm by no means a AOD expert (unless you count removal and installation).

The SC transmission is stronger than the LX transmission (even V8) and it comes with a "A servo". Not sure what a #1 servo is.

Yeah, that's what I meant: "A" servo, not "#1" servo. He told me there is even something called an "A+" servo that he recommends. He said he uses an "A" servo in all his 'standard' AOD rebuilds.
He tried to explain the function to me, but I was distracted by many other issues at the time.
The servo regulates the amount of clamping force on the bands? Is that right?

What's the deal with an "A+" servo?

I dont know what the deal is or why, but two trans builders I have talked too told me they like the factory Ford A servo better than the after market A+ for a street driven car. I cant confirm the why or how, but it might be something to look in to for consideration.
There was a "reman" in my 90 when I got it that used an 83 tbird AOD case, an 84 Tbird valve body, a B servo and a the governor was shattered, but im sure it wasn't correct.
If it were me, I would have my original rebuilt, so I know whats inside it.

I have had a band break using an A+ servo, I suggest the oem A servo.
There are only 2 available sizes of bands. All MN-12 aods had a 1.5 band. There is no 1inch band. The aode and 4r70w transmissions have a 2 inch band, that is a major upgrade. Some econoline vans actually had a 2.25 band but you'll never get those parts. The wide ratio kit you mentioned is the 4r70w gear set. It works great in NA cars. In these cars I suggest leaving the gearing alone.
Alan

It appears the low gearset is no longer available from Ford. While I think my NA 5.0 could substantially use the wr gearset (I am looking for a 4r70 donor at the moment) I can't see an SC needing it like my 5.0.

Brad

It appears the low gearset is no longer available from Ford. While I think my NA 5.0 could substantially use the wr gearset (I am looking for a 4r70 donor at the moment) I can't see an SC needing it like my 5.0.

Brad

I have about 10 sets laying around needing the sun gear.
Alan

I have had a band break using an A+ servo, I suggest the oem A servo.
There are only 2 available sizes of bands. All MN-12 aods had a 1.5 band. There is no 1inch band. The aode and 4r70w transmissions have a 2 inch band, that is a major upgrade. Some econoline vans actually had a 2.25 band but you'll never get those parts. The wide ratio kit you mentioned is the 4r70w gear set. It works great in NA cars. In these cars I suggest leaving the gearing alone.
Alan
what is the reasone for not doing the wide ratio on the s/c.i have all the parts to build mine and was going to do the upgrade.any info would be helpfull

IMO the shifting gap ruins the curve. The aod gap seems to work better in these to me. Some engines it will benefit, most it will not it'll just make first gear worthless like the manual transmissions.
Alan

Back