LOTS of issues it seems

Shibbykins

Ok guys my 89 is in worse shape than i thought when i bought her. heres the low down

I replaced all the interior fuses under the drivers console just to be safe

I have no cig lighter, door chime, power doorlocks, windows or side mirror, interior light have no power at all. also the Anti theft keypad and trunk poper in glove box dont work.

I know that if any of the window or door switch;s get wet they die so my uncle is sending me a buncha new switchs to see if that might fix those issues.

Stereo and antenna work as well as the lights for the intrument cluster and the information readout above the stereo. im replacing the thermostat saturday cuz the previous owner took it out for some reason and puttn n a new radiator hopefully next week.

What im curious about is are there any inline fuses for the above mentioned items that could cause them not to work or would anyone have any suggestions where to look?

Thnx again guys

J

The fuse box under the hood

I am with DamonSlowpokeBaumann on this one, my 89 sc had about the same problems as yours, and it was the fuse box under the hood, and than she did it again and it turen out to the the ingention (sp) swithc, the switch had started to come apart. Jiggle the keys around just a little bit and see if that does make stuff work, if nothing else if it is not the fuses under the hood replace the ing switch, they are cheap, under 20 bucks and easy to do, and you will end up doing it sooner or later anyway,
Matt

REPLACED

Window and door switch's along with window motors(windows work but power door locks dont)
FUses under driverside and under hood.
Replaced the radiator and belts also.

Also got a MAFS from mk.VIII but havnt put it in yet

___CURRENT ISSUES____

What is the ignition switch and where is it? or is that the DIS module

I still dont have any interior lights and the antitheft is still inoperable.

Apparently the Scoche stereo adaptor is wrong or someone jerry rigged the stereo in the bird cuz there is one of the rectangle adaptors and one small square one that appears to be the wiring harness but the scosche one has 2 squares and 2 rectangles and the squared ones wont work.

Got a nasty leak from either the powersteering pump or the reservoir also

Any info on anything would be welcomed and as always thanks again guys

J

The ignition switch is where you put you're key to start you're car.You'll have to remove the trim panel around you're steering column to replace it.

If you wanna see if you have the right radio adapter just go to a place that sells them and match it up hell I bought my adapter at wal-mart.

For the power steering issue check the lines etc.They are pretty cheap I changed mine awhile back and think it was like 45 bucks with the res.

Jay

Check the wire bundle under the drivers carpet.....

There is a splice that has three green/yellow wires going into four green/yellow wires and sometimes it will get corroded and loose the connection....

I soldered a junction wire in its place and everything works fine.....:D

ill go pull a ignition switch later this week from the wrecking yard n take a chance on it.

I think i gt the power steering issue fixed now. Sprayed some degreaser all in the bay and found i had an oil leak from my oil pressure switch thing. Got the part from autozone and will put it on tonight or tomorrow.

I rechecked all the fuses and discovered i was missing a relay or something of the sort under the hood, threw one on from the wrecking yard and i now have power trunk and door chime.

Ive worked out 75% of the issues with the bird in a weekend pretty much. Got the Texas state inspections done so i have been able to drive the car all weekend and really see whats wrong.

Thanks again guys ill keep yall updated.

J

big-e i saw in the one link that you did a tutorial with pix on it. i did a search but didnt pull anything up(prolly worng peramiters). could you link me to it by chance?

oh heres a few pix of what my bay looks like, it aint too pretty either
2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
Dont even waste your money on an ignition switch until u've checked under the driver side carpet for that wire splice.

if u look at the link i posted up u'll see i had about the exact same probs as u. and BIG-E showed me exactly where to look for these wires. as soon as i connected them all back together everything worked as it should.

says i have insufficient privilages. Guess its time i became a actual memeber lol

thanks guys ill keep ya updated

J

stereo issue

The problem with the Scosche wiring kit, is that it's a Scosche kit. They don't have adapters available at all Wally-world locations that fit the ford premium sound. The rectangle plug is your power, the square is speaker leads to the amp. If you go someplace that does installs, they should sell Metra wiring kits. Much higher quality than the Scosche, and the correct application. I'm formerly an installer, and personally avoid Scosche. Good luck

thnx for the advice on the scosche kit. Im looking up the metra kit online. What its showing me is that i need kit 70-5511 but it says it for a 99 mustang or whatever. Ill call around san antonio when im out of work n see what i can digg up.

J

ok so i got the wireing kit for the premium sound. All works lol. It seems i have a new project for each day. at this rate ill have the bird fixd n no time

J

Last edited:
So last night i pulled the carpet up on the drivers side to repair the wires that seem to go bad. Easy to do with the pix eddie (big-e) provided. But besides that its all wet under there. I siliconed up where the windshield was leaking a few days ago so i guess she needs to dry out.

But i started on the issue of the oil pressure sender unit. I must say that sucker is horrible to get to let alone get off! and i still havnt gottn it off yet. I removed the alternator and the tension pully thing to give myself a little more room. Im gonna have to swing buy autozone r wherever to get a wrench thats the right size and heat it up and bend it so i can get the dang thing off. Socket wont go over it cuz of the angle.

J

SO the keypad on the drivers door secided it was gonna work this morning.

i still need to figure out why my cig lighter isnt working and to remove the ~~~~~~ aftermarket alarm from the car.

J

Back