Ground Locations? Wierd...

Treys92

Is there supposed to be a wire grounded to the chassis located under the intake arm? I have never noticed it, but I am trying to track down an intermittent no start issue, and I saw it.

So, I removed it, and also removed the ground above the drivers side headlight and it sounded like the starter was spinning, but was not engaged?? The key was not in the ignition and these were the only two wires which were tampered with. Does any of this sound right or am I going nuts?

-Trey

Last edited:
Here you Trey, get one of these and wire it from the key on and run new wires after and you can eliminate wires as being the problem. I have the same problem on Brians car. Sometimes it just clicks a few times before it starts. Brand new starter (not a rebuild) at twice the price and still have the same problem. We have tried shims and all that crap but he also has that resistor on the key crap so we need to eliminate that too. Hope you get her figured out. Mark

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ENGI...010QQitemZ200108802525QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Double check the neutral safety switch as well. I had a problem with the '94 that was intermittent and it turned out that was the problem.

Haha, thanks Mark. Those things are pretty cool, but I don't think I'll resort to that just yet.

Update: I pulled the starter and took it up to O'reilly's to get it tested. Everything turned out fine, including the solenoid. Bought a trickle charger to re-charge the battery as it seemed to be getting pretty weak. Its currently charging and in the morning I think I'm going to replace the main power wire to the starter, I suspect there may be a large voltage drop and a corroded wire.

Here's a question, I'm not to familiar with the wiring schematics of the starter. The solenoid has three posts. One (top) is the battery positive feed, which is always hot. One (left) is the trigger for the relay which is hot when the key is in the "start" position. And the other (right) is the positive feed to the starter motor which is hardwired into the stater? Finally, the bottom mounting bolt is also the location for the starter ground cable? Is this all correct or am I wrong? Any help, comments, and insight are welcome.

Thanks,

Trey

Double check the neutral safety switch as well. I had a problem with the '94 that was intermittent and it turned out that was the problem.

I've tried starting the car in park and in nuetral. If in nuetral, would a faulty safety switch still stop it from starting? Also, when the battery has a full charge, I can hear the solenoid click as if it is trying to engage the starter...but then nothing. This leads me to beleive that the main power feed to the starter is the culprit....any thoughts?

thanks,

Trey

UPDATE:

So, I pulled the starter saturday night and ran it up to O'reilly's to get it tested. Starter good, solenoid good. Bought a new wire for the main power feed, replaced that and put the starter back in, she fired up once and then nothing after that. Seemed to only crank with a completely charged battery, anything under 12.2 volts was a no go.

So, I decided to replace the wire that goes from the ignition switch to the starter, even though I checked the connection for corrosion and voltage drop. Didn't feel like tearing apart the steering column and finding the correct wire so I wired up a push button start, guess what she fires up perfectly EVERY TIME.

I can't beleive it was that stupid little wire that was causing all of this. I figured that wasn't it since i could hear the solenoid click when I turned the key. Oh well, glad to have it figured out.

Now, should i leave it a push button or should I find the wire that goes to the ignition switch and connect it there? I'm still thinking of selling it, so maybe a push button would scare some one off even though it is completely functional and pretty sweet. Any thoughts?

-Trey

Back