Cam sensor

kenewagner

I'll post here in Tech forum. I didnt get hardly any replies on the nontech forum. Putting my car back together after a head and cam install. What needs to be adjusted for the cam sensor and does the stock rockers need to have clearance checked between valve stem and rocker. I know there a plenty of guys out there doing cams, need some imput.

Ken

Crank needs to be at 26degrees After Top Dead Center. If using the stock pullies, there is a notch cut in the steel pulley that identifies that location. If using the BHJ balancer and aftermarket pullies you'll need to transfer marks back for the proper position.

With the crank in the proper position, you can then set the CAM sensor position.

See this thread with a post by XR7 Dave on how best to set the CAM sensor if you don't have the tool.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83849&highlight=cam+sensor+position

If you're doing the stock lifters with stock rockers I believe you just set them in the pedestal and set the bolts to torque. If you have a different cam though you'll have to check the geometry. I'm not sure on how to do that but someone else should know.

here is a thread on valvetrain stuff.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52949&highlight=cam+valve+clearance

Last edited:
Crank needs to be at 26degrees After Top Dead Center. If using the stock pullies, there is a notch cut in the steel pulley that identifies that location. If using the BHJ balancer and aftermarket pullies you'll need to transfer marks back for the proper position.

With the crank in the proper position, you can then set the CAM sensor position.

See this thread with a post by XR7 Dave on how best to set the CAM sensor if you don't have the tool.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83849&highlight=cam+sensor+position

If you're doing the stock lifters with stock rockers I believe you just set them in the pedestal and set the bolts to torque. If you have a different cam though you'll have to check the geometry. I'm not sure on how to do that but someone else should know.

here is a thread on valvetrain stuff.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52949&highlight=cam+valve+clearance

Thanks much:D

Ken

Before installing the passenger head I moved #1 piston to the top of the bore. Installed timing chain and aligned the dots on the cam and crank gears.
Following other threads in mikes response I moved the pointer to the notch on the balencer, than pulled the cam sensor and moved it to the correct location. I had a cam sensor gauge to insure it was correct. The tamper proof torx bolt was a pain untill I borrowed the correct tool. I installed a socket head in its place. I beleive I got everything correct but if not than someone correct me;) The picture of the cam sensor is before rotating it to align with the gauge

Ken

Attachments

• balancer notch.jpg
    balancer notch.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 83
  • sensor before.jpg
    sensor before.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 90
  • sensor gauge.jpg
    sensor gauge.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 91
Can't tell from the pic, but you need to make sure that the tool points outward towards the water pump, about 25-30 deg from paralell to the heads. If it doesn't angle forward enough you won't be able to install the acc bracket and plug the sensor in at the same time. If it points too far outward the wires will hit the SC belt. If it's a little too far one way or the other then the trick is to jump it a tooth one way or the other.

Can't tell from the pic, but you need to make sure that the tool points outward towards the water pump, about 25-30 deg from paralell to the heads. If it doesn't angle forward enough you won't be able to install the acc bracket and plug the sensor in at the same time. If it points too far outward the wires will hit the SC belt. If it's a little too far one way or the other then the trick is to jump it a tooth one way or the other.

Heading back down to the shop and will check that Dave, other than checking that have I got everything correct?

Ken

Got accessorie brackets, pulleys, on tonight. Checked all the rockers to be sure they were torqued correctly. I hope to fire it up Wednesday. Thanks for all the help

Ken

Back