balencer broke, but have question

AMFRacing1989

so as some of you have read on the lounge forum, my balancer has broken off of my 89 SC and the car is getting sold so i dont have to mess with it anymore. But i was wondering, the keyway is still good, part of the balancer is still broke off on the crank, but i dont think the crank is broke. How would i get the remaining part of the balancer off, and will it run once the new one is on? It wont start as of right now, but still cranks over good like it didnt skip time. Any information would be appreciated so i can fix it and sell it for more than the $600 that i wanna get out of it as it sits.
thanks,
mike

This just happened to me, if you remove the timing cover the remaining piece comes off with ease.

Once removed you'll have something like this...

untitled.jpg

-Tim

Last edited:
You'll want to replace the front cover seal. Start with pulling that seal off, it'll be tight on there, and inside puller tool would be very helpful.

With that off you may have more room to get something in there to remove the piece of the balancer, perhaps with an awl or a two jaw puller. Others have ever so carefully drilled some small pilot holes, and then use some machine or sheet rock screws to screw into it. Then pull it off with those screws.

Use a magnet to clean up any metal in the timing cover.

This just happened to me, if you remove the timing cover the remaining piece comes off with ease.

Once removed you'll have something like this...

untitled.jpg

-Tim

that looks like what i have. Did your car die out as soon as it fell off and did it restart once you put the new/used one on? Also, the bolt snapped off inside the crank, how hard is it to drill/pull those out? I have a set of MATCO easy out's that i have been dying to use. thanks for the help.

-mike

You'll want to replace the front cover seal. Start with pulling that seal off, it'll be tight on there, and inside puller tool would be very helpful.

With that off you may have more room to get something in there to remove the piece of the balancer, perhaps with an awl or a two jaw puller. Others have ever so carefully drilled some small pilot holes, and then use some machine or sheet rock screws to screw into it. Then pull it off with those screws.

Use a magnet to clean up any metal in the timing cover.

i think your way sounds a little easier, so tommarow once i get off work i think i will try it that way.
thanks for your help.
mike

that looks like what i have. Did your car die out as soon as it fell off and did it restart once you put the new/used one on? Also, the bolt snapped off inside the crank, how hard is it to drill/pull those out? I have a set of MATCO easy out's that i have been dying to use. thanks for the help.

-mike

When the car cut off I knew what it was - the balancer - at first glance I just thought I snapped the bolt - which was the better Mustang Version however it broke the balancer too just like yours.

The best way I've found to removing the broken crank bolt (Last go around was my 3rd time) Use a dremel and they sell a Dremel Bit at Lowe's that is the best $10 I've ever spent - Bit # 9910 (picture below as ref). Just get on the middle of the bolt, and let it do its thing. I usually use WD40 to clean and lubricate the work area for it cuts like no other! Once that is done use an easy out and it will twist out with no hang ups.

Oh and yes the car runs currently, just replaced the balancer and bolt and she fired right up!

9910_lg.jpg

-Tim

Careful with those easy-outs. Definitely wear safety glasses. I almost took a piece of shrapnel in the face when I was using an easy-out and it shattered. Wasn't wrenching on it too hard either.

Back