aftermath of Dayton SC spring meet

Cobrarthunder

Well, made a few 12.6 passes early in the day. Car was running great on what little borrowed time I knew I was on. I had my 2-step launch control set too high so I backed it down to try and keep from spinning the MT's off the line. 3rd pass something let loose right at the big end...all smoke and some nasty noises. I coasted to a 13.00 and turned off the track. upon initial inspection no oil dripping or parts on the track. Cranked it and it started up hammering away..was able to drive it on a trailer. Thanls to David Neibert for the tow! Once home I had the engine out in a few hours to find....(sorry for the large pics.)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c93/cobrarthunder/100_1059.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c93/cobrarthunder/100_1065.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c93/cobrarthunder/100_1062.jpg

Number 8 connecting rod broke, smacked the piston into the valves and head 3 times, and punched a hole through the cylinderwall...but not the block. Piston exploded into nothing but the top and ringlands. trashed the crank, and chipped the #4 piston. Not worried about saving any of the old engine as the new engine was built and waiting....:D

Chris,

Ouch.....it looks like a real mess. Always glad to help out a fellow MN12 owner in need.

David

PS: Are you a daddy yet ?

Thats a 4.6l...Was it naturally aspirated?? What are the stainless lines going into the slave cylinder??

Not a DaD yet, pressure is really on. We thought for sure it would be this weekend. We have been trying everything, everything if you know what I mean. But no baby.

My car had a Vortech V-1 SC on it producing 12 PSI. It was a stock engine, not anymore!
The stainless braided lines are for my custom hydrolic internal throwout bearing setup from mcleod.

Was there anything done to your bottom end before this? I'm only asking since I'm planning a Vortech install at some point in the semi-near future and only planning for about 6 psi since it will be a fairly stock 4.6.

Any idea what kind of numbers from the new engine?

-Melon

nope stock engine...didnt waste anytime on the stock engine. i just was building one on the side for this exact reason. Chris

Engine looks nasty. I must have just missed some of you guys at the track last weekend. I got there around 11:30 a.m.

What do you have left to do before dropping the built engine in the car?

chris

How long did it last pushing 12psi through stock internals? Was it ran hard? If yours lasted pretty good, I may up the boost a bit on mine. I do plan to have a different motor for mine at some point as well. I know the stock 4.6 won't last forever :D

-Melon

I ran the first summer with the 6 psi stock pulley. then last summer I went to the 9psi. this late winter I changed it to 12 psi with an anderson powerpipe. i got about 3 weekends of use on the 12 PSI before it started to lift the headgaskets under boost.

And yes....I run the crap out of my car everytime I take it out. Chris

Not a DaD yet, pressure is really on. We thought for sure it would be this weekend. We have been trying everything, everything if you know what I mean. But no baby.

My car had a Vortech V-1 SC on it producing 12 PSI. It was a stock engine, not anymore!
The stainless braided lines are for my custom hydrolic internal throwout bearing setup from mcleod.

Man...how long till they will induce her? Aren't you guys to term with the baby yet?

Yesterday was the projected due date. Today she had a doctors visit, shes at 4.5 CM....so tonight or early morning looks like we will be going to the hospital.

Congrats man...there's NOTHING on earth like being a Dad. I'm about to become a Dad for the Second time. The little one will become the NEW expensive hobby in your life.:D

Back