ABS Motor - Removal

Mike8675309

Any chance of getting the electric motor for the 89-92 abs master cylinders off without pulling the master cylinder?

I can't see the bolts that hold it on so was wondering if I get under the car I could get a socket on there blind and get it out.

Yes it is a pain but can be done. It has been awhile but if I remember right:
To get room I took off the cowl piece and wiper motor assy. Then the accum. This gave me some room to feel for the bolts on the motor,or look from under the car. There are two. But I cannot remember the size (12 or 10mm come to mind). And two lines also. One on top (Not to bad) One on bottom..motor has a mount that slides inboard(Toward eng). fits out from the top..

Good luck and post if you have problems..:D

Tony

89 Cougar XR7 (In work)
90 Tbird SC (needs paint)
91 Tbird 5.0L (Still waiting eng rebuild)
94 Tbird LX (Daily driver)
95 Tbird LX 4.6L (Girlfriends car)

Last edited:
I did that the first time I had a pump motor problem and it was a royal PITA.....

After changing out 4 ABS units in 4 different SCs, it is easier to just pull the whole unit to do any work on it.....

It only takes about 3 hours to take it out and put it back in, if you are patient :rolleyes: and have the right tools.....:p

I've never pulled the ABS, but it doesn't look all that hard. Is it? I know that there are the 4 bolts under the dash, then the 4 or 5 brake lines on the MC, and a couple of electrical connectors. Is there more involved?

I would definitely take off the cowl before starting this project. The hardest part of that may be getting the wiper arms off the bases. They can be finicky.

Hmm, o.k. I couldn't hardly get my hand on stuff up top so I figured getting the master cylinder out would be tricky. Though I guess the master cylinder is much of what's in the way.

Thanks for the info.

Taking off the cowl will open it up for ya..

Tony

89 Cougar XR7 (In work)
90 Tbird SC (needs paint)
91 Tbird 5.0L (Still waiting eng rebuild)
94 Tbird LX (Daily driver)
95 Tbird LX 4.6L (Girlfriends car)

Back