Speedo works but Odo doesn't turn

sledgehammer

Man, it seems that when it rains, it pours....

I have notitced that my speedo works fine, but the Odometer doesn't turn. I recently had my transmission repaired, and I know the gauge is driven off of the transmission, so I am wondering if it is possible that the cable was not re-attached right.

Would a loose cable cause this to occur? And if the gauge is bad, do I have to replace the entire gauge pack or just the Speedo/Odo?

Hey, whadya know, solved one myself for a change.

Found the rebuild kit online through one of the sponsors here. Think I will order it and give it a go.

I would recommend you replace the gears

This is a weak area on these cars (Cougar & Thunderbirds), and you should be able to find instructions on the site here how to replace the gears in the ODO yourself, although I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the skills and tools required. I sent my instrument cluster off to a firm in VA that specialized in instrumentation repair. Don't have the address handy, but a Google search for instrumentation repair should help you. Cost is kind of steep IMO, around $175.00. Hope this helps.

Don
Prospect TN

I've just worked on a half dozen speedos and it's really pretty easy. The hardest part is pulling off the pointer while being careful not to damage the face. Some are pretty stubborn and some come off fairly easy. You have to completely disassemble the whole thing to change the gears so keep track of how it all goes back together. The old gears slide off and the new ones which are of much better quality slide right on.

What Sponsor? Have a link--I need gears for my 94 Tbird's odo.

Tony

89 Cougar XR7 (In work)
90 Tbird SC (needs paint)
91 Tbird 5.0L (Still waiting eng rebuild)
94 Tbird LX (Daily driver)
95 Tbird LX 4.6L (Girlfriends car)

What Sponsor? Have a link--I need gears for my 94 Tbird's odo.

Tony

89 Cougar XR7 (In work)

Just go to supercoupeperformance.com I think the gears for the odo are listed under the misc section.Bill also has detailed instructions on there .

Jay

Thx

Tony

89 Cougar XR7 (In work)

I have the same issue. I replaced the speed sensor in the tranny and it didnt help so you are saying that the gears on the ODO itself are shot? Would'nt it be easier to just pull one from another car?

Back