Time for a rebuild

rallystang

I have finally toasted my motor and its time for a rebuild. I currently have a mustang block, and need to upgrade to a SC Crank, rods, and pistons.

What is the way to go here? I want to hit about 300 RWHP, and would like to throw a 50 shot of nitrous down the road. I want internals to be able to take a mild beating, but I'm not going for the "best".

I know I need a SC crank, where should I go for one, which years are forged?
SC rods/pistons or aftermarket? If aftermarket, what compression ratio should I shoot for to obtain my goal of 300HP + nitrous?
Do you guys use the 'SC' head gaskets? Ever thought of using the Mustang MLS head gaskets?, I have a mustang block and heads.
I know I need a new balancer, and I plan on getting the machine work done locally.
What else do you guys recommend? This is a long term project, I plan on finishing about next summer or so.

Thanks!

Are you trying to add all of the Supercharger and other parts also ??

Its recommended to just to buy a whole SC engine to rebuild instead of building your NA block with SC parts. Probably cheaper to buy as a whole than in parts.

- Dan

I already have the SC setup installed and running. I just need to rebuild my motor.

I'll use the SC block, will the SC rods and pistons work ok for 300 WHP? How about 300 RWHP + a 50 shot of nitrous? I can get an 89 engine, but don't they have a cast crank?

Last edited:
It would be shocking if it was duracast, as most rumors have been that they never left the dealer lot with them if they even got that far.

Any SC motor is essentially good for anything under 400rwhp assuming it is built to support it. The rods, pistons, and certainly the bottom end should have no issue with 380rwhp.

The only issue with nitrous use is ensuring no detonation occurs. A wet shot would be best. Loose fuel pressure at the wrong time and throw nitrous in at the same time and you're sure to break something. The only issue with the stock pistons is that if they break, they make a mess and can ruin a bunch of stuff. But otherwise they are pretty strong and have made proven power in some of the most powerful SC's in the past.

Thanks Mike. Looks like I am going to pick up at least some stock SC internals. Suggestions on where to go?

How about MLS head gaskets, have you guys tried them on your SC's? I think they came out in 99 for the Mustang 3.8, and know they work well with the forced induction motors on our mustangs. I think they do lower the Compression Ratio a bit.

Also, for future reference, I found a great post with lots of info here:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35147&highlight=machine+shop

I think I would buy a new longblock from supercoupeperformance.com. The nitrous is always a little scary on stock internals but your alternative to make it not scary means forged pistons and rods which is expensive.

Buy a stock longblock. I have mls gaskets on my car but I am still working on mine. If you decide you gotta have MLS gaskets then I would buy the longblock, do the gaskets, do some mild porting on the heads and intake, and put a different cam in it.

Last edited:
If you order felpro head gaskets for the tbird, they should now be the MLS. At least Felpro crosses to the MLS, so if they try to give you other than that, it's old stock. That's a fairly new development.

Otherwise the Ford Stang 3.8 MLS gaskets out of Felpro are a commonly used part on our cars. I'm using them.

You want to make sure the block and head is completely flat, and as smooth as possible if using the MLS Gasket.

Back