Sprint springs/ didnt lower it

shawpdx1

Just went out and measured my 90 SC stock and measured my 92 SC with supposably 1 1/2 lowering springs from sprint I put in a year ago was just curious if it was lower and they are the same height 27 or 28" cant remember wich one but to the top of the wheel well there both the same am I looking at this right? what the hell? when I did it I matched the springs together and the sprints were 1 1/2 lower it was obviousy any awnsers? IM running 255/50/17 in the rear and 245/50/17 I don't know They were alot shorter than the stock anyways whats wrong...........Laugh thanks

Just went out and measured my 90 SC stock and measured my 92 SC with supposably 1 1/2 lowering springs from sprint I put in a year ago was just curious if it was lower and they are the same height 27 or 28" cant remember wich one but to the top of the wheel well there both the same am I looking at this right? what the hell? when I did it I matched the springs together and the sprints were 1 1/2 lower it was obviousy any awnsers? IM running 255/50/17 in the rear and 245/50/17 I don't know They were alot shorter than the stock anyways whats wrong...........Laugh thanks

First of all what is a "sprint" spring?

The size of tire makes a big difference. A 255/50/17 is NOT shorter than a stock tire. How about you check things out a little more carefully and let us know what you find?

Sprint springs are a progressive spring have been around since the 70's they use to use them on Impala's there a good spring good ride hadling there a 1 1/2 lower than the stock spring I matched them up to my stock spring when I did the swap they were 1 1/2 shorter . the car sits the same all the way around 27" to the wheel well same as my stock SC wich has the stock springs . I understand that the 255/50/17 are taller then the stock tires but I don't think there and 1 1/2 taller I have checked it out well I was wondering if anyone has seen this before it shouldn't sit that high I would think but maybe I should swap out the stock 16s and see if it sits lower then. I have alot of wrench time under my belt so Im not a rookie when it comes working on cars thanks

Yeah a couple things to take into consideration when you talk about lowering springs ..

Where did you get these Sprint springs first of all ?? Did they claim to be 1.5" lowering springs, or are you just making the assumption based on the unsprung height of the springs side by side ?
This height has nothing to do with the actual amount of drop you will get when you install them into the car. The SC springs are pretty stiff, and have a different spring rate than other aftermarket springs. These Sprint springs may be shorter, but stiffer, and not compress as much as the SC springs when installed .. so going by unsprung height alone doesnt mean anything.

Brand new springs may take a little time to settle in, so after a couple weeks, they may be lower than what they are when you first install them.

Your SC springs are lower than "stock" springs, on an LX Tbird, Im not sure exactly how much, either 1/2 or 1" lower already, so a 1.5" drop spring isnt going to be that much lower when you install them on your SC as it would be on an LX - the amount of drop is an approximation, and most of the springs are made for V8 Tbirds, which do have a different weight on the front end of the car than the SC - how much I dont know either.

Tire size is another factor, like Dave mentioned above .. does your SC have stock size 16" tires and you have 17" on the one with the lowering springs ? Did you take a before and after measurement on the same vehicle you installed the springs on, or just compare the height with the other car after the installation ?

- Dan

the car sits the same all the way around 27" to the wheel well same as my stock SC wich has the stock springs .

A 255/50/17 is 27.1" tall so if your car measures 27" to the fender lip then it follows that your car is a lot lower than stock. Maybe your stock SC doesn't have stock tires on it? Or maybe your stock SC has broken or sagging springs? All of these are common on a 15+ yr old SC. Check it out a little more carefully and I think you'll find your answer. ;)

Thanks Guy, I re measured it and the lowered one is at 28" except for the front passanger side its at 27" very strange I need to get it up in the air and check it out the stock one is 28" all around the thing is you can't visually see it when you look I lowered it a year ago then had it alligned and parked it its been in the garage all winter this is the first time I really checked out the height. I'll figure it out. If you want to look up sprint springs the site is sprintsprings.com there good springs for the price. I used them On my 90 mustang GT convert. anyway Thanks for all the input much appreciated I'll let you know what the situation is when I figure it out

Back