JL 6.5" speaker powered by external amp = great sound

ricardoa1

I just fineshed the JL 6.5" speaker upgrade inside the stock enclosure. Got rid of the 100lbs of stereo equipment that I had in there. So you know what my expectation are.
I also have the stock JBL speakers all around.
Powered by an external 200 peak watts 2channel bridged. It sound awsome. Rap and R&B is great. Rock sound bassy but my amp has a bass boost button that if off cleans it up.
Note that I have full controll of the sub. I have gain, frequency control, bass boost and a low,flat,high swith.
My head unit also has a low frequency sub rca output and the I set the surrounding speakers to treble high and bass low.

If you have full control of the stock speakers it is loud and nice....

Make it to Carlisle so I can check out how you've done what you've done. I have the JL Sub in mine and on a stock deck and amp its nice but no KING KONG IN THE TRUNK :rolleyes: :D ;) Sorry I had to!

-Tim

Make it to Carlisle so I can check out how you've done what you've done. I have the JL Sub in mine and on a stock deck and amp its nice but no KING KONG IN THE TRUNK :rolleyes: :D ;) Sorry I had to!

-Tim

Its no king kong. But it sounds nice, very impresive from a 6.5 subwoofer.
You wont be shaking the car next to you. But if you have full control over all the speakers it makes a huge difference.

Its no king kong. But it sounds nice, very impresive from a 6.5 subwoofer.
You wont be shaking the car next to you. But if you have full control over all the speakers it makes a huge difference.

My problem with the stock unit is it seems as tho the sub hits the same at the low setting as the full blast setting and all that changes is the mids and highs on volume increase. When the system is at half it sounds great however I ride with my windows down 99.9% of the time so half does nothing for me with wind noise. Still want to check it out.

I agree though the JL Sub sounds really nice for its size.

-Tim

My problem with the stock unit is it seems as tho the sub hits the same at the low setting as the full blast setting and all that changes is the mids and highs on volume increase. When the system is at half it sounds great however I ride with my windows down 99.9% of the time so half does nothing for me with wind noise. Still want to check it out.

I agree though the JL Sub sounds really nice for its size.

-Tim

Its definetely not like that with the aftermarket amp.
I the sub keeps up with the surrounding speakers all the way to max. No distortion when maxed and when low it is also low.
But my head unit has a separate sub volume feature, so I can tweek it from the drivers seat if I want it. I can lower it all the way down or crank the sub up without increasing the volume of the main speakers.

I have the stock JBLs and stock amp, with a pioneer Head unit and a Bazooka sub woofer. I think it sounds nice. It hits hard, but most of the bass seems to stay in the car and isn't that loud from outside. I can also adjust bass from the head unit as well.

I'd like someone to help me set my system up using the factory head unit...Any ideas? Trying to keep the factory look. I also have the JL audio sub

Your factory unit needs the external amp that is in the trunk to power the surrounding speakers. The head unit pumps very litte power.
What you can do is run an external amp to the sub.
What you need is a Speaker>RCA converter. Then use the wires that are going to the sub, to feed the converter then run RCA to the external amp.
Now that feed is X-over to a low frequency so leave the amp at the Flat setting dont set it to low of you will just double the low freq and it will sound bad.
Then adjust the gain on the amp and bass boost till you find the right combo for you. The amp I am using if from walmart, 50 bux it is not a fancy amp by any means. But you need to have an amp that will give you flexibility.
One channel amps would be nice but they usually are Xover to the low frequency so find a two channel amp that can be bridged to one channel and that has a cross over switch that can be left to flat.

Last edited:
I was wondering if there was a way I could use s 5 channel amp for all my speakers. I'll hav eto sleep on it..:O)

I was wondering if there was a way I could use s 5 channel amp for all my speakers. I'll hav eto sleep on it..:O)

Not sure? But with the stock head unit you will just be compromising the whole set up. The preamp signal from the stock unit "should be flat" might work weird when you feed it into the amp. But try it and see.
Plus 5 channels are expensive.

does anyone have an amp running directly from the battery through the firewall? I just got 2 JL 12s and an sony amp. Any ideas on where to run the wire from the battery to the amp. The 91 sc engine is kind of cramped. Also where can I stick the fuse at.

Back