Exhaust info please, yes again :)

thunderbird89sc

Ok so here in the next month I am going to have a new exhaust put on the 91 sc, I was wondering what I should get, she still has the org, fuel tank on there. The set up I have now is stock except the mufflers have been cut off, now I like the sound a lot, and I even like the drone on the highway. I am more worried about down the road when I start more powerful mods. Right now I have a 3/4 top on her, I am going to be getting bigger injectors and maf and tb. Also a 10% SC pully. I am wanting to know what size pipes I should use along with type and size of cats and resonator, I don't care about mufflers, I want her to at least stay as loud as she is, I would really like to increase the depth of the exhaust tone. Any ideas would be very nice, Thanks guys.

Matt

well, cutting the cats out completely would make it louder. but if u really want em, i'd go with magnaflow brand.

the system im going with is 2.25" catless downtubes; dual 2.5" in/single 3" out magnaflow resonator; 3" around gas tank split out to 2.25" with no mufflers.

this will be enough for all the mods i plan on doing to my SC, which is quite a bit(350HP).

and even if you need more flow, you just have to replace your 2.25" pipe with 2.5". not bad at all.

Headers

I don't care if I have cats or not, it's just that I am having a shop do the job, so they might care. Should I buy different headers or will the stock ones be okay.
Matt

ported manifolds will be fine until u start makin really big power, like 400hp-ish.

if you're doing the whole exhaust at once u might as well port the exhaust manifolds and get rid of the "lip" inside the collector. i was able to port the collectors to about 2 inches.

if the shop won't cut the cats out then just cut off the whole downpipe yourself, bring it to them and say "i want pipe in this shape with a flange and O2 bung in it. :)

I don't care if I have cats or not, it's just that I am having a shop do the job, so they might care. Should I buy different headers or will the stock ones be okay.
Matt

Granted, they said stock ones are fine.

However a great alternative is the stock Mustang 3.8 header they are shorties, but flow very well, and are a very inexpensive alternative...

My .02

Granted, they said stock ones are fine.

However a great alternative is the stock Mustang 3.8 header they are shorties, but flow very well, and are a very inexpensive alternative...

My .02

Check for a post from XR7 Dave on exhaust flow if I remember correctly the mustang headers don't even flow as well as stock unported early manifolds.

Jay

Back