PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Phaze I: Done!

Gregthespy
05-14-2007, 08:19 PM
It was a long weekend of stuck bolts and bushings but I installed my stockpile of rear suspension parts. I started on Friday at 4PM and worked till 9:30PM Saturday I started work at 10 AM and worked till 10PM then Sunday I worked on it from 9AM till 3PM when it started to rain but luckly i had just gotten finished up! I'm bruised, abbraised, sunburnt and sore but it was worth it.:D The only thing i am not too happy about is the fact that the ride height is still the same if not a little higher, even with the lowering springs. I think it's from the poly spring isolators since the stock ones were pretty mashed out.
I may take either the top or bottom one out and replace it with a stocker, I dunno.
The dirvability of it is awesome, it feels like a new car, and since the power is beieng transfered better and there is less weight transfer slinging around it feels a lot quicker off the line. The airbags proved themselves the first trip out, since it was raining after the completion of the install, I took a test drive and even with all the slipping and sliding of no traction there wasin't a hint of wheelhop!!:cool: and it's even better in dry conditions!
Also found that the rear pads (or lack of) were grinding into the rotors, so I went ahead and did a complete overhaul of the brakes as well, new loaded calipers, and rotors.
Phaze II, the front end, will be in the near future once my cuts and bruises heal (as well as my wallet!)

Just another update on the ole' bluebird

SuperChicken89
05-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Sounds like another fun filled SC weekend:D Glad to hear you're happy with the results of your labor. The front should go quicker with the exception of the springs.

I hate changing the front shocks or springs. I won't even attempt to compress the spring myself anymore. I just take the shock/spring assembly to a shop that has a wall mounted spring compressor and pay them to do it. Watching those external spring compressors bend as you compress the spring just scares the he** out of me. If one was to let go, say good bye to life and limb :eek:

Keep up the good work Greg.

Bryan

Sweet90SC
05-15-2007, 03:45 PM
You know I never did look at those rear brakes...probably the original ones..:rolleyes:

onequiksc
05-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Greg's got a SC?

Huh? :p

(I think I was in Upper Mongolia at the time).

Flip
05-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Greg,
Sounds like youíre moving along with the SC. The replacement of all the rear end components do make a big change, mine has no noticeable wheel hop also. The bags really helped mine even though most said it would make no difference.

You will notice a huge difference in doing the front end. Stick with a stock style front end, I went with all urethane front-end and itís nice and tight but a little too tight and rough sometimes. If I had to do it again I would have went all stock. But then again thatís just my opinion and you know what they are like..:D :D

Gregthespy
05-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Yes, it rides sooo much better now, I've been expeimenting with diffrent PSI loads in the air bags to see what's best for daily driving.
I knew the rear was going to be harder to tackle than the front, when I do get to the front, it will be easy as I have been there before and know how it goes. Although, This time I will be buying the whole lower control arm instead of pressing out the ball joint and bushing.;)
Yeah Bryan, It would be smart of me to take the spring assy to a shop to have it done, but I think I may take the risk with my set of spring compressors. They are MAC Tool brand and have only been used 3 times. Plus I won't have any transport except the bike when I've got it taken apart.

I just got a set of front Tokicos for it and am starting to collect parts for the front now. Yes Flip, I do plan on going mostly rubber on the front end, I really wasin't looking to make this a SCCA racer or anything so I I'm just trying to freshen things up a bit.

Yeah, Rick, I wasin't going to rip into the rear suspension that weekend, but started to hear metal on metal sounds so I figured it was time to go all out on it. I dunno if they were origional but now they are nice and new!:D

I may dabble into the engine bay again this weekend and throw a 75MM Tbody on it. We'll see.

onequiksc
05-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Look Greg..I'm not demeaning your work or your results, but If I may...

...suspensions are way overrated on these (any car really) cars,, you're really better off without them. They just create unnecessary body movement, which is energy lost. I have taken mine out, and welded the chassis to the uni body. Result? yes, it's not *quite* as comfortable, but now I can take large radius on ramps and off ramps at like...80 mph and stay perfectly flat.

Also, because I'm not receiving large bobbing motions, the car is faster and more solid.

I'm not saying you wasted your time and $$$ Greg, but stop and think about it for a moment. Ok...you done?

See what i mean; suspensions are obsolete today.

I would proffer more empirical data, but I'm off to my Chiropractor's office, then my Dentist's. I like to get it all done in 1 day. Catch this later.

:P

Gregthespy
05-20-2007, 10:39 PM
That's some good information Dan, I kow I should have consulted you before spending all that money on moving parts and such.
I know I should probably start a new thread for the next topic I'm about to start. But I believe it will help the way my car handles as well. I was pondering why people fill their tires with Nitrogen instead of plain air and then I figured if I fill my tires with concrete or plaster of paris, it would eliminate any flats, as well as give my car a lower center of gravity. :o this may also help offset some of the humility I'm going to recieve on my suspension blunder.
Give me your input on this Dan, I hope I'm pioneering a new Automotive innovation, although, I'm sure you may have already done this to your pacer.

On a serious note I was out in Brevard county and saw a really nice stock looking red early model SC parked at the Indian River park area. It was good to see one not faded and abused for a change!;)

onequiksc
05-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Man...you really have fallen off the turnip truck, you're so green Greg...concrete? Are you nuts?

It's in all the tech journals, nothing new, that filling tires with sand is optimum. Concrete will just give a really hard ride. Sand has some 'give' to it, thus much more comfortable. But hey, if you want to visit my chiropractor...

Think about walking on the sidewalk in bare feet, then walking in sand...make sense?

Good thing there are old guys like me around to keep you from some serious mistakes.

Now...get out there to the beach and fill, fill , fill those tires up! Thank me later. If Bryan or Glenn read this, they will be shocked at your naivete'.

I learned all this in Upper Mongolia eons ago, those people know their tire needs.

P.S. If you get to beachside this week, say hello to my manatee G/F for me.

Waldorf
05-21-2007, 12:31 PM
The only thing i am not too happy about is the fact that the ride height is still the same if not a little higher, even with the lowering springs. I think it's from the poly spring isolators since the stock ones were pretty mashed out.

Just finished mine, and the same problem. It's actually about 3/4" higher now. It is the poly isolators. I also installed MKVIII LCAs and Thomas' spring perches though. If it doesn't settle in a week or to, I'll just cut the coils. I do want to keep the poly isolators on both ends. I have Tokicos, which are linear springs... shouldn't hurt.

Best of Luck!
That is all...

Gregthespy
05-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Just finished mine, and the same problem. It's actually about 3/4" higher now. It is the poly isolators. I also installed MKVIII LCAs and Thomas' spring perches though. If it doesn't settle in a week or to, I'll just cut the coils. I do want to keep the poly isolators on both ends. I have Tokicos, which are linear springs... shouldn't hurt.

Best of Luck!
That is all...

I had been thinking of the same thing, I am going to install the front suspension stuff once it arrives and if I can definately notice that the front is affected (lower) by the springs then I may either ditch the poly isolators or cut away, since I too have linear springs which shouldin't affect the recoiling attributes. I actually just bought a set of practically new front upper Strut mounts off ebay but they were a package deal with some used poly isolators, They appear to be diffrent than the ones I installed, so when they arrive if they are in fact diffrent and look like they are thinner i may even swap them out with the poly ones in there now. If I do get rid of the poly isolators all together then I will be stuck with 2 sets of them!:rolleyes:
I have a set of the Mark VIII LCAs I am planning on putting on my project '95 so once I perfect it on my 89 I'll be an expert once I move onto that project!

I too have been hoping for it to magically settel in the rear, but no such luck so far.

By the way, good to see a new name around, you a Fl local?
Either way thanks for stopping in!
Greg

Waldorf
05-21-2007, 06:49 PM
I had been thinking of the same thing, I am going to install the front suspension stuff once it arrives and if I can definately notice that the front is affected (lower) by the springs then I may either ditch the poly isolators or cut away, since I too have linear springs which shouldin't affect the recoiling attributes.
My front end came down exactly 1-1/8" right after I did it... I did the front end first. Mine has always sat high all around.

I have a set of the Mark VIII LCAs I am planning on putting on my project '95 so once I perfect it on my 89 I'll be an expert once I move onto that project!
On the LCAs... I used Prothane Cobra bushings at the frame. Had to have some washers made at work to get everything to line up and compress right though. Drove 100 miles round trip to work today, and nothing fell off. So I guess it's good. No wheel hop now, although it does hit a little hard in the rear. Cut my finger pretty bad Saturday, so I know it's good. An old timer told me long before I was an "old timer": "A car repair won't be good unless you spill some blood." This rear suspension rebuild should then last forever.

By the way, good to see a new name around, you a Fl local?
Either way thanks for stopping in!
Greg
Almost... I'm south of Atlanta, 2 miles east of the new Summit Racing store on I-75. But get down to the old folks home (The Villages) just north of you quite often to see my Bro-In-Law. Great car shows there once a month in one of the squares on Saturday evenings. Nice rides... those old folks got some $$$ to put into them. Just caught your thread while trolling new posts. Usually over here from TCCoA once in a while to see what's new and what's for sale.

I've got a '93 I bought new, but it's got 2 more cylinders than you guys. 'Course it's gotta work harder... has a hard time catching it's breath (no SC). My baby Bro (in Salt Lake) just sold his 94 SC to a guy from Canada and bought a new Rustang... traitor!

If you run into any problems or have any questions on the MKVIII LCAs, drop me a line here or on TCCoA. I can't promise good answers, but I will answer!

Hope your's settles down.
That is all...

Cobra85
05-21-2007, 09:37 PM
I know you guys did, but I gotta ask .... was the car(s) setting on the suspension before you tightened everything? Cause if ya didn't, yer binding the bushings. That's why it'd be setting up too high. Might ride a bit rough too! But look at the bright side, you ready fo' those 22's.:D