professionally ported heads vs. mildly ported

mywhite89

Anybody have any horsepower numbers for a highly modded sc engine with mildly ported heads verses one with heads done by steigmeier, spinning wheels, or supercoupes unlimited?

I have mildly hand-ported heads with bigger valves with beehive springs and I am trying to get an idea of how much I am leaving on the table by not having one of those 3 companies custom heads.

I picked up 100hp but got a cam and 10 rib blower pulley setup at the same time and intake to match heads by SC's unlimited. Over home cleanup stock valve spring heads and stock cam. But you would have to get the flow numbers on your heads to know if they are comparable to the vendor's.

Dave could answer that as he does all levels of head porting. My heads, which are the same as you have in configuration, flow 30% better than stock. The flow numbers for my heads show they will flow better in low to midrange and goes well with my cam as I elected to be conserative with my combo. Highly ported heads matched to an agressive cam would make more HP higher up in the RPM range. No matter what you do its about having a matched system. You might give us a little HP with better heads, but than you need an agressive cam to match. My 2 cents

Ken

I picked up 100hp but got a cam and 10 rib blower pulley setup at the same time and intake to match heads by SC's unlimited. Over home cleanup stock valve spring heads and stock cam. But you would have to get the flow numbers on your heads to know if they are comparable to the vendor's.

100 at the wheels or flywheel? Thats not bad either way. I'd just like an idea of what I am missing and how worthwhile of an upgrade it would be over my current setup. Thats the only mod internally that I went somewhat cheap with, but I know I could always have them upgraded later on. I'm just waiting on the improved head and intake package to come out.(If it ever does:) )

Everything Kind of works together with these motors so I get what I paid for!

Last edited:
100 at the wheels or flywheel? Thats not bad either way. I'd just like an idea of what I am missing and how worthwhile of an upgrade it would be over my current setup. Thats the only mod internally that I went somewhat cheap with, but I know I could always have them upgraded later on. I'm just waiting on the improved head and intake package to come out.(If it ever does:) )

Everything Kind of works together with these motors so I get what I paid for!

How agressive is your cam? On you members page there are no specs. If it is a mild cam the heads will work great. If it is agressive you probably are right and left performace behind do to lack of flow

Ken

100 at the wheels. But like Kene said its about the matching everything. I don't think the heads by themselves picked me up that much power. But them with the cam and the 10% more blower overdrive without slip (total of 25% was at 15%). And the heads also allowed me to rev to at least 6000 rpm instead of the stock heads floating the valves at 5k.

Back