AC Accumulator

well, I'm hoping so, I just purchased the new style (94) to put on my 89. Best I can find out is the only difference is the fitting for the cycling valve. Old style is 1/4 the new style is metric so you can't intermix the wrong cycling valve. If you are changing over, I'm in the process, you will also need the liquid line off the late model ( different, r134, orifice tube ). I'll probably get mine all switched in the next few weeks. My weekends got booked so I'm on hold until I get some free time.
btw, accumulators I found mine from a store on ebay $20 plus shipping..NEW

-Keith

The suction hose that connects to the accumulator is different on pre 93 cars than 94-95 cars.You should use a pre 93 accumulator and the appropriate retrofit fittings for both the low and high side service ports.All new accumulators are compatable with R134A, be sure to use the green Nitrile O-rings through the entire system. Old style pressure switch works fine.

The suction hose that connects to the accumulator is different on pre 93 cars than 94-95 cars.You should use a pre 93 accumulator and the appropriate retrofit fittings for both the low and high side service ports.All new accumulators are compatable with R134A, be sure to use the green Nitrile O-rings through the entire system. Old style pressure switch works fine.
Oh. Wondered about that.. Anything other than length? Can a good tug on the line get it to mate up?... I'll give it a try as I've got spare lines to work with.. In fact, I want to cut the Otube out and splice in a VOV just to see how it works out.. To be honest, I've not been impressed with r134a performance over the past few years. That was with new everything: compressor, fittings, condenser (small tube design), evap, accumulator, switch, Orings, liq line, PAG oil, vaccuum and charge. Works good-nuff, but not as well as the r12 did. :cool: I'm hoping to get better performance when I refit my other car(s). :cool:

As i remember the line from the accumulator is completely different size and angle and all. You would the late model compressor line assembly to make it work. I ordered a line assembly for my 94 and they sent me one for a 93 it was not even close. Save yourself the grief and use early parts. As far as R134A goes A properly retrofitted R12 system will get as cold as an original one.This includes a properly working compressor ,condensor, orfice tube,properly measured refrigerant charge and maintaing proper pressures. On some cars additional mods are required such as an auxilary condensor fan. I am an ASE certified A/C tech and have always had great results retrofitting Fords over the last 13 years or so. But you cant short cut anything or performance will suffer. Good Luck

A used accumulator exposed to the humidity in the air is no good, they contain a descadent that absorbs moisture once the system is charged then discharged it is no longer any good. Beside why take a chance accumulators are cheap enough.

As i remember the line from the accumulator is completely different size and angle and all. You would the late model compressor line assembly to make it work. I ordered a line assembly for my 94 and they sent me one for a 93 it was not even close. Save yourself the grief and use early parts. As far as R134A goes A properly retrofitted R12 system will get as cold as an original one.This includes a properly working compressor ,condensor, orfice tube,properly measured refrigerant charge and maintaing proper pressures. On some cars additional mods are required such as an auxilary condensor fan. I am an ASE certified A/C tech and have always had great results retrofitting Fords over the last 13 years or so. But you cant short cut anything or performance will suffer. Good Luck
Which Otube do you suggest on the SC with the small tube condenser (not the original R12 big tube split path condenser).. We're talking Texas heat in a month or so which averages 95+. Also, have 32oz of r134 installed 5 years ago. Works out to be the suggested 80% of the original r12 which was 40oz (on the sticker under the hood).
Last time I checked, the high pressure was pushing 270+ :eek: on a 100 degree day.. I'm reluctant to push it to 300 with more refrigerant.

I have always used the blue orfice tube I have found it most always works the best. The most important thing with condensors is to use one that has never been on a car that the compressor has failed. When these compressors fail they deposit debris in the condersor that WILL NOT flush out. Condensor efficiency is paramount. I wouldnt push the high side past 275 on a hot day and like to see it lower sometimes a pusher fan is needed. On some cars 70%-75% works better I always check duct temp as I am charging the system while I am watching my pressures. You can run water on the condensor and if duct temp drops you can address condensor issues. Hope this helps.

A pusher fan is an idea.. I'll look into it. I'm getting 40deg out the center vent on an 80 something day.. OK, by normal standards thats good.. HOWEVER... I can stand 90 degrees pretty well w/o A/C. Its not that uncomfortable.
But... when it hits mid-90's and above then you really need the A/C. Its on those days that you can tell if your A/C really works well. I think I'm getting about 50 on recirculate on a 100 degree day. And of course, if you're sitting in traffic, it goes up. You sit there thinking and grumbling about how R12 worked.. So there lots of room for improvement :rolleyes:

And even if this sounds counter to cooling, I may go with a less restrictive Otube to see if it helps pull the high pressure down a bit.

Always remember duct temp is a result from a/c efficiency vs ambient temp and humidity. I have read a lot of factory parameters that state if the a/c reduces the duct temp 30-40 degrees below ambient temp they consider it to be working as designed, I dont agree. A/C will get a lot colder on a low humidity day although we hardly see one here in Fla. There is a chart that states orfice tube sizes but like I said I always use the blue one and they have always worked for me. A condensor fan is cheap and it cant hurt. I have been in the u pull it yard and have picked them up for cheap. Just wire it up so it runs when you turn on the A/C.

The pusher fan will also help with sitting in traffic especially if your A/C works better when you are moving.

Back