Engine Swap

Palli

Hi there
I am up here on Iceland and I have a sick bird . I need to change the motor in this thing and when I looked in hood it is PACKT:confused: with all kinds of stuff . Now I have been taking parts out and taking alot off photos and if this goes like it has I will bee finish the year 2850 in december :D .I think I am doing thing backwards or not right . I am planing to keep the auto in the car and take just the motor up . What is the best way ?? What is the quickest way ?? and the easy way??

Thanks in advance
Palli up in snow

Are you replacing it with another engine or fixing the one you are taking out.....

Don't be scared.....

Under all those hoses and brakets sits an engine that is just like every other engine.....

Take is slow and remember how things came apart and reassemble in that order.....

You already have the most important tool, this web site.....

HI there
Thanks for the reply . I am putting in a new motor so the old one is going to be a lap rat for some testing . What I am woried about is that i am pulling it out through the mufflers with pliers . I have been drag racing for 25 years but this is my first Tbird that I have worked on and with all these gageds in there hoses,pipes,plugs,wires,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Palli
try to stay c;) ;) l

Mark all the wires, pull the radiator, unbolt the motor mounts and the transmission. Disconnect the air conditioner stuff, if you have EGR disconnect that. Then pull the exhaust off, pull the cowel off. Get the vac lines off, and pull that engine out.

If you want more clearance you can pull the front accessory brackets, they are bolted to the motor with some big bolts.

Watch for ground straps by the motor mount bolts into the block.

Once you get the supercharger and all its stuff pulled off.I.E. blower i/c tubes inlet plenum,intake tube etc.It looks a lot less intimidating.I don't think it's actually as hard as it looks to do.I would suggest though to pick a ford shop manual for you're year bird as it could prove to be very helpful.

Jay

Hi
Thank you all for response . Yeas I think I just go on with the marker pen and the digital camera .Next to go off is the is the blower and the induction stuff and move on from there . The Balancer thing that is one time use right ? I didn´t know that so I have to order one . I was thinking about the cat´s can they be stuffed upp and make the gasket to blow or it helps . I think my cat´s are sutffed up because that is the original exhaust system in the car . What happens if I take the cat´s away ? Dose the Computer go crazy or what ?????

Palli
just thinking

i've swapped quite a few engines never in a bird but i have done a few mustangs a vic and countless towncars... instead of disconnecting the a/c just unbolt the compressor, that way you don't have to vac and charge it again. I'd recommend taking the radiator out once you get the IC and piping out the way. Make sure you drain the oil and water before you begin so its less mess later on. When you crack the nut on the power steering pump, be prepared it'll skeet all on ya

If you are on a budget, the balancer isn't one time use. But the stock balancer just isn't trusted by folks. So if someone can afford it, they replace it. The replacement is a BHJ balancer and is expensive, and reliable.

Back