rough running? spark plugs

spetz01

Well in my long ~~~ search to find out why this new motor has never quite ran 100%, I'm gonig to replace spark plugs. The new Autolites I got from SCP have only 600 KM on them, but they were in for the initial fire up which included some time running with open headers. I'm not sayin thats it, but I'm out of leads and out of parts to replace. I put a timing light on the plugs today but had mixed results, I think due to the Livewires shrouding or it might be the light is old..can't see why that would matter. The light was intermitant (sp) on some cylinders, but it liked #2. (the coil is new as well..I had a forum on buying a Demon coil a while back).

I'm not pulling any codes that would effect running at this time.

could be your plugs and/or wires. On my 89 I had problems with it running rough and missing and it turned out to be the fuel injectors they were very dirty and some of them had cracks in the little plastic pintle caps causing them to not spray a good pattern.

Must be some kind of record?? I swapped all 6 plugs in 45 minutes!! I guess thats the one good thing about the car...still runs like a P.O.S though..

The engine likes to cut out now, like the crank sensor is failing. But when it does, it backfires pretty loud. Seems only to happen when I give it a little boost. It never did run right though.

The engine likes to cut out now, like the crank sensor is failing. But when it does, it backfires pretty loud. Seems only to happen when I give it a little boost. It never did run right though.

ever change dis???? never know its old parts...

I have two of those...thought that was the problem some time ago,but turned out to be the crank sensor. Same symptoms though for either of the units. I bought some NGK plug wires, gonna swap out the Livewires and see if its any different. If that fails the front of the motors coming back off and I'll start over from there.

ok that didn't help....got half the top off now,waiting for the girl to cool down some. I'm going after some possible theorys like timing on the inside. I'm goning to research some problems,post some questions.

Anyone wanna come over and drink beer and rip on a car? It is Saturday.

too late...

I see you've already started tearing it apart. I would have run a cylinder balance test through EEC. It is REALLY helpful in determining if the problem is isolated to a particular cylinder or all cylinders and the 3 levels it runs through narrow the problem down to injectors, ignition or base engine pretty well....

Back