Help with codes

BraneRift

I am such a non-mechanical type.... I was getting a check engine light at idle, but as soon as I give it gas it goes out. So, checking the codes was recommended to me. I had no clue, but after a little research here, I found out how to do this with a paperclip. Here is what I got on my 89 SC 5 spd. (I left the parking brake on. Hope it didn't make a diff)

Car off, but warm

Test one

11 then 66

Car running and after the funky rpm stuff it did

33 72 73 25 74

To make sure I did it right, I shut the car off for about 20 seconds and did it again

Test two

Car off

11 66

Car running

33 77 74

What in the world does this mean? :) I did find the codes page, but like I mentioned before, I am not that mechanically inclined, so I am not 100% what it all meant. A basic explanation would be very helpful. Thanks in advance

Kevin

The car off codes:

11 is "all good" (at present)

66 will be a memory code (stored). This is likely what was turning on your check engine light. 66 is basically saying that the MAF (air flow sensor... right after the air filter) is out of range. In this case, it's telling you that the signal is lower than expected. Check the MAF connector; unplug it, clean the contacts and plug it back in. You can also remove the MAF and try cleaning it.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/intake/mafclean.html

If none of that works, you might need to look around for a different MAF.

Car running codes:

You can ignore some of them. The system wants you to do a "goose" test (goose the thottle, quickly press the pedal 1/2 way down and release) at a certain point during the test. If you don't do this, you will get codes. Not doing the goose test accounts for:

Not stepping on the brake at the right time causes:

That leaves us with 25 and 33.

I **think** 25 is more informational than anything. Just saying the knock sensor was not tested. I doubt the knock sensor is your problem, especially at idle.

33 - There is an issue with the EGR valve/system. The ECM (computer) was trying control the valve and it didn't get the expected response. Do a search for EGR and start reading :)

Hope that helps!

Vince

Vince

Thank for the info. I am bound and determined to learn everything I can about this car. These forums are an excellent resource.

Back