Installed Stage 2 Cam, car won't idle

89SC5SP

I just installed stage 2 cam in my 89 sc, car will not idle when warm. Car runs great when in the gas, but once you put clutch in she will not idle.

Is that a statement or a question? Stage II what kind of cam? Lift and duration? Did you unhook the batt when you did the swap?

I have a smallish cam in mine and after some really long cruise runs (55-60 mph for several miles), when I would get to a turn off, it would die for the first three to five days after I had the batt unhooked.

Chris

Assuming that you don't have a vacuum leak, maybe you need to open the throttle set screw a little to allow a little more air in.

What else did you do besides the cam. What vac are at?
You need a tune with a big cam.

Well I installed new motor as well, the cam is a coy miller stage 2. I also have previous mods which I had before. Blower, top, maf, kooks headers, 38# inj, etc... I have noticed I'm running lower vac than before(which I am told is because of the cam) and currently it is at 12in in vac. Before I was between 16-18in. I have re-sealed the IC tubes again and still makes no difference. I do have a Pro-M MAF that was calibrated before install with my mods, but should cam make a difference with that? I also tried turning the idle screw out couple turns, raised the idle little bit but really no difference. How about custom chip? Anybody run these yet? And who can TUNE these cars?

I have the same issue with the cam I have. You have alot more vac than I have. I will be installing some variable lifters to alliviate the problem.
But you need a tune.

I can tune these cars, no problem. I use SCT software/hardware and can custom burn a chip for any application.

Vacuum sounds about normal for the cam you have depending on what rpm it's idling at. The 89 is a bit tricky to get to idle at times because the EEC on those years doesn't offer much control. The best thing you can do is increase airflow through the TB to get a base idle and go from there.

You also might want to consider that 38lb injectors are no where near big enough for whenever you get the motor running right.

Hey XR7 Dave, how much for a chip and do we just tell you what we got and you go from there or how does it wrk?
thanks,
fred

I can tune these cars, no problem. I use SCT software/hardware and can custom burn a chip for any application.

Vacuum sounds about normal for the cam you have depending on what rpm it's idling at. The 89 is a bit tricky to get to idle at times because the EEC on those years doesn't offer much control. The best thing you can do is increase airflow through the TB to get a base idle and go from there.

You also might want to consider that 38lb injectors are no where near big enough for whenever you get the motor running right.

Dave, you say you are able to tune my 89 SC, and also burn a chip? Now is this something you do at home or at a shop? Dyno? After I installed the stage 2 cam it just seems I have had more problems with getting it to idle, and I can find nobody that really knows to much. Like I said before, I tried to turn out the screw on the TB a couple turns, and it seemed to bump the idle up a little, but was no help when engine started to warm up instantly as I started to drive. This thing is as good as undriveable when trying to brake and hit the gas at the same time coming up to a stop sign without it stalling out. I talked with Bill Evanoff and he didnt mention too much about the chip, or of any help. If you could get back with me and let me know that would be great, and thanks again. Kevin - dtctireman@comcast.net

This thing is as good as undriveable when trying to brake and hit the gas at the same time coming up to a stop sign without it stalling out.

Would a vacuum accumulator ball help with the vacuum for braking?

Last edited:
Back