tranny cooler line question...

Kit Sullivan

On a 90 SC, which of the two tranny cooler lines going into the bottom of the radiator feeds fluid into the radiator?

And, when mounting an auxiliary trans cooler, is it better for the fluid going into the cooler to feed into the top fitting and work its way down through the cooler to the bottom fitting, or is is better to have it go into the bottom and work its way up through the cooler to the top fitting? Or does it even make a difference?

Logic tells me that since heat rises the hot oil should enter the top of the cooler so the cooler oil will exit the cooler at the bottom, at least that is how radiators are configued.

Bottom line goes to the passenger side of the radiator. Bottom is the return on the AOD and TOp is the return on the 4r70w .. not sure if the Lines are exactly the same, but they should be.

- Dan

Last edited:
Look at the transmission not the cooler. There is an upper and a lower fitting on the transmission go by that.
Alan

Hinging on this thread..... what is the thread/fitting size for the ports on the AOD [edit 1/4"] and the radiator? Need to order NPT -> -AN adapter fitttings today and am not with the car to figure it out. Anyone know offhand?

Last edited:
trans cooler lines

okay, i just drained my trans by diconnecting the lines and starting the engine to evacuate the pan of it's contents(well most of it anyway). the supply line was on the passenger side, so logic would dictate that the return line was on the driver side. keeping that in mind, to hook up an auxiliary cooler, you would connect the supply line to the cooler from the drivers side of the factory cooler in the radiator and the return line from the cooler to the line that returns to the trans. the passenger side line that goes into the stock cooler in the radiator goes untouched to do the first cooling to strip all the heat it can.

also, the fittings that are needed to transfer from the radiator and the cooler lines are 1/2X20 long fittings. anyone that has done any fabrication on brake lines would be able to see the resemblence. there are retailers that have both male and female fittings available in a combined package, like www.transmissionpartsusa.com for instance. look at PN. 13024.
that website also sells the Dr tranny instant shudder fix also, just a bonus i suppose.

one last thing, this was on a 95 SC and not a 4.6 or a 3.8 NA. as far as i know they have a cooler in the radiator that is vertical, not horizontal like in the SCs.

Back