wheel bearings

beej8508

The front and rear wheel bearings are going out on the '89 XR7 that I recently bought. My question is, I have a '91 Supercoupe that the bearing are good. Can I take off the wheel bearings from the Supercoupe and transfer them to the Cougar? My '83 turbo was easy to replace them....is this going to be something difficult? I was quoted almost $1000 to have them replaced....which is too much for a car that is only driven once or twice a week!

Thanks

The front and rear wheel bearings are going out on the '89 XR7 that I recently bought. My question is, I have a '91 Supercoupe that the bearing are good. Can I take off the wheel bearings from the Supercoupe and transfer them to the Cougar? My '83 turbo was easy to replace them....is this going to be something difficult? I was quoted almost $1000 to have them replaced....which is too much for a car that is only driven once or twice a week!

Thanks

go buy new they shouldn't cost anymore then 25$ a piece atleast for me :eek: ;)
but im not 100% for sure but i think they have the same spinals so yes they should work...

Just replace them yourself for the front ones you'll need to buy new hubs they're like 60 buck a piece and are easy to replace just pull you're calipers and rotors then all you have to do it removed the hub nut pull off the hubs and install in reverse order.For the rear the bearings have to be pressed out and in so if you don't have a press you'll have to pull you're rear knuckles and take them to a machine shop to have them removed/installed my local machine shop charged me I think 40 bucks to do mine.Also you'll want to use new hub nuts both front and rear you can get all 4 of them from ford for like 20 bucks.You should be able to buy all new parts and replace them yourself for about 200-250 which would save you at least 750.And you'll only spend a couple hours doing the work yourself.

Jay

The front wheel bearings are pressed onto the hub and are sold as a unit, they can't be done separately.

The Front Hub for the 89 and 90 SC has a different centering ring for the brake rotor than the front hub for every other model SC. I'm not sure if that's the same for the Cougar, but I'm betting it is. That makes the part for the 89's much more expensive than the 91+ cars.

The 91 hubs will fit the XR7, but you'll need a 91+ rotor as well, because if it's the same as the SC, the 89 or 90 rotor won't fit on a 91+ hub.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17830

The front wheel bearings are pressed onto the hub and are sold as a unit, they can't be done separately.

The Front Hub for the 89 and 90 SC has a different centering ring for the brake rotor than the front hub for every other model SC. I'm not sure if that's the same for the Cougar, but I'm betting it is. That makes the part for the 89's much more expensive than the 91+ cars.

The 91 hubs will fit the XR7, but you'll need a 91+ rotor as well, because if it's the same as the SC, the 89 or 90 rotor won't fit on a 91+ hub.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17830

thanks for clearing that up for me i didnt know:eek:

Back