What to look for in worked over heads?

90MaroonLX

I've got a set of 90 SC heads that I pulled off my parts car.They've supposedly been worked over, but the previous owner wasn't sure what had been done to them because the work had been done before he bought the car.

What should I look for so I can tell what has been done to them?

What are the specs on stock heads?

If they have been ported, they are probably port-matched on the intake side to the intake gasket. Can you post a couple pictures, I would be able to tell you more by looking at them

If they have been ported, they are probably port-matched on the intake side to the intake gasket. Can you post a couple pictures, I would be able to tell you more by looking at them

Sure thing; I'll try to get a pic or two of them by tomorrow night.

I f you can also take a pic of the valves and seats to see if they have been done as well.

Not the best pics (Don't mind the horrible placement of the tape measure for reference, haha)

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

No chamber work for sure....All you really need to do is check out to see if the ports are rough or smooth..If they are rough they been untouched.

Also a shot of the valvesprings

Gotcha...thanks guys.

That's not really a problem since I didn't pay extra for them; they came on the car. I'm planning on selling them, and I just wanted to make sure that I'm accurate in my description.

I dunno about the heads but the motor they came off of has a hammered rod bearing.

Man, you're good. According to the guy I bought it from, it spun a bearing right before he sold it to me.

How can you tell? Is there damage to one of the heads?

Back