*UPDATE* tried to start the SC after upgrades...w/video

thunderkid84

its been sitting since late decmeber and i just tried to start it today. it would not idle but it would rev if i gassed it a bit....but no idle.

now mind you, i have no IC or tubing hooked up (waiting for FMIC in mail) and only exhaust manifolds hooked up (no downtubes) and an almost empty tank of 6 month old gas in it.

when i had the heads off i wiped oil all over the cylinder walls and pistons to prevent rust and im sure that had a little to do with it.

will hooking everything back up and pouring fresh gas in make it run normal or at least better ??

im open to anyone's thoughts/suggestions.

Last edited:
so i take it that everyone's gonna say put the IC and tubes in and it'll run fine ??

Not trying to belittle you by anymeans. But how do you think the car is going to run without the tubes. If it has no tubes, the MAF will not meter air,
the throttle body will not control incoming air. IAC valve will not control iddle. And so on. ;)

yea, i knew after reading rzimmerl's post. i should've thought of that. now i feel like a newbie.

well the FMIC will be in this weekend and i'll let u guys now how everything turns out.

ok im back with an update.....

the IC is in and all the clamps on the piping are tightened down pretty good.

i tried to start it and it still wont idle. i have to give it some gas and it'll rev up, but no idle. funny thing is when push the gas pedal down it's like it instantly wants to cut out. but if i push the pedal down more it'll finally rev.

i pulled a couple spark plugs and it looks like it was rich, which i figured from a cold sart-up. i also made sure the wires were in the right order.

i just cant figure this out.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP !!

Maybe there's still something left over that isn't completely secured and causing a vacuum leak. There's a posting somewhere on this site about pressurizing the intake with a little compressed air as a way to find boost leaks, maybe that would help?

It's also possible that if there is no vacuum leak, that maybe it's an electronic issue. Have you tried to pull codes yet?

when i put everything back together i made sure all the lines were hooked up and tight. but there was one line that wouldn't quite reach to the inlet plenum. it reaches around the fitting but not enough to throw a clamp on it. i put some rtv around it to maybe seal off any possible leaks.

maybe that's it ??

since it won't idle i could only pull KOEO codes and got :

31 : which is for EGR signal low. (my EGR is deleted)

67 : something about the nuetral drive switch, but that can't be stopping it from idling.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE SOME IDEAS ?

Last edited:
major vac leak.

are you sure all the ic connections are tight?

pcv is hooked up ? now if all is ok then start it what is vacume? let off gas is it at least 18 inches vac?

shut engine down does vac gauge drop semi slow? or just snap to zero?

if it all checks out then disconnect battery turn on head lamps wait few minuters turn off lights re connect battery start up with out applying gas let idle if it will it will learn its idle dont apply gas or rev it that will negate the relearning prosses also is iac working ? tight? pluged in? is air temp on return pluged in ?

so u dont think it has to do with the EGR being deleted ??

i plugged the vac hose that went onto the acual valve but i forgot about the hose that goes onto the electrical connector.

IAC is on there tight
intake air sensor is tight and plugged in
IC connections are all tight
PCV is hooked up

i'll have to get back to u on the vacuum at shut off

i have no way of pressurizing the intake. the only way i can test for leaks is by spraying carb cleaner while the engine's running.

ok i swapped the sample tube around and this time it actually idled for a few seconds but then died. but when i gave it gas it would not rev at all. i pulled plugs from cyl's 1 and 2 and they're all black, the electrode, the ground, from gas and possibly fouled out.

am i right here ?

here's pics, sry my camera's not that great.
sc013-1.jpg

Last edited:
Did you use some type of sealer on the IC tubes ? Easiest way to check for vacuum leaks is to spray all the IC tube and vacuum hose connections with carb cleaner while the motor is running.

David

Back