A/C compressor

BraneRift

I am frustrated.... I bought my 89 sc 5spd from my stepmom when my dad passed away 9 months ago... When i bought it she told me that my dad had replaced the a/c system with the 134 (it appears he did based on the fittings). However the compressor was not engaging. So, I figured it needed a charge. I did a little research (I am a mechanical newb) and bought some refrigerant. In it went. After two cans the compressor started engaging, but only for a second then off.... about ten second pass.. it kicks on again for a second and back off. I read that I wasn't supposed to put more than three cans in, so the third can I put half. Still this compressor is only on for a second then shuts down...

Ideas? Two cents?

Try the other half can of refrigerant if it still does that replace the low pressure switch on the accumulator. Its on the aluminum canister near the fire wall and it has a 2 wire connector it will unscrew and wont discharge the system they are a fairly cheap try. If that doesnt wrk you will need a set of gages to diagnose it may have a blockage in the system or a bad compressor clutch. Depend ing on the year it may have a high pressure switch that may be turning off the compressor due to a blockage.Hope this helps.

My system was completely empty and I had to put 4 cans of 134 in mine when I did the change over.....

The compressor started to cycle on and off after the second can was installed and was cycling all the time after the third one......

We checked it with some gauges and decided to install a fourth can.....

It's nice to finally have the AC back....:D

My system was completely empty and I had to put 4 cans of 134 in mine when I did the change over.....

The compressor started to cycle on and off after the second can was installed and was cycling all the time after the third one......

We checked it with some gauges and decided to install a fourth can.....

It's nice to finally have the AC back....:D
4 cans :eek: What was your high side reading? :eek:

I thought I read 4 cans was too much..... Can remember where I read it.

Anyone have the numbers on what the pressures should be low and high side?

the system takes 2.5 lbs of r-12 so figure and can is 12oz. so

It would be best if you could have vacuumed out the system before your charged it.

You can jumper out the pressure switch on the accumulator to keep the compressor running to fill it.

here's a pressure chart as well, assuming you have a set of gauges to throw on it. Your filling from the low side so if you have a gauge as you fill that would be the low side.

and it should run a few minutes at least five to stabilize to get an accurate pressure reading.

Attachments

• pressures.gif
    pressures.gif
    43.1 KB · Views: 29
Back