Probe GT advice......

HoseHead

I have a line on a decent Probe GT. V-6 5 gear.

Are these actually Mazdas with a Ford badge? Problems or failures (other than the name)? Comments are appreciated.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

What year is the Probe GT?

The 93-94 are troublesome, due to a common distributor issue that affected all GT models (2.5L V6). It would heat up and cause the car to always stall, etc...and its a very expensive job to repair.

Only the 95-97 are worth getting and are a lot more reliable. As the disty issue was corrected for 95, as well at the sticky rear caliper issue as well as the interior build quality (93-94) cars had cheap interior door panels that would break in half overtime..the 95-97 have a one piece panel that fixed this issue. The GTs are also known to have noisy HLA issues, especially in the winter where the lifters would make a loud noise in the cold, etc..this would not effect the engine, or overall reliability but it may annoy you....the engine bays are also very very tight...so this may impact overall repair costs...even for simple jobs...also look out for leaky valve cover gaskets..common issue..

I owned a 96 GT for 3.5 years and it had 287,000K before I got rid of it..great car, and I had very little issues with it....

Additionally, yes its a Mazda with a Ford Badge...

a guy at work has what i beleave is a 94 he has owned it 2 or 3 years and has put 2 motors in it so far. but then again he beats teh living hell out of it.
but dont we all sometimes:D

Ha Ha...I had one about 2 years ago...Bought it for $600...Ran great for about 2 months..Motor went..Put another engine in it...And it was ok..Until the electrical gremlins that people talked finally surfaced...The Disty was a easy fix...U use a GM HEI module to fix that problem...But ground issues,,,ran good some times and other times ran like crap...Girlfriend at the time hated it..Was always fixing it...So i sold it to some poor kid...

Stay away from them!!!!!...

other then the name... BWAHAHA Oh man I know I love the cars but the name and the jokes they imply are just to much for me!

Basically they have their problems as you can see and some parts aren't cheap. I'm certain the engine is a Mazda "based" engine. the 2.5L DOHC Duratec (its durable technology BTW lol ;)) and the chasis is also Japanese or something. some people swap the JDM 2.5L engine from the actual Mazda (MX6?) in Japan as they have more power. I think the JDM 2.5 is refered to as the KZL engine. don't quote me on that one! or you could swap a 3.0 Duratec in there I would imagine! I know someone who had one and other then the ignition problem the trany blew twice... but it was an automatic! god that little V6 needs the manual trust me I wasted that thing a million times in my Focus! All in all I have always liked the car.

It is a Mazda 2.5 DOHC, nothing in common with the Ford Duratec 2.5L as used in the Contour and Mystique, other than being a DOHC 2.5 V-6. So a 3.0L Duratec would not be an easy swap.

cheers
Ed N.

Bruce...

Best thing to do is to ERASE that block and tranny in the vehicle and put in a small block Ford with a Mustang 8 3/4 with gears of your choice. Tub it if you want better traction:D or if you fell like rolling the lawn...

A relative of mine, who I hardly ever saw, except when she wanted her car fixed, had one for years! I did most of the stuff covered already in this thread and it was a pain in the ~~~!

Did you know that Ford originally intended that chassis and body style to be the "NEXT MUSTANG"! Mustang enthusiasts almost had a heart attack and made their opinions loud and clear so Ford rethought the idea and decided to retag it the "Probe" and carry on with the rear wheel drive Mustang. Could you imagine if they actually produced these as the STANG!?!

They are a cool little fun car to drive but my relatives car was always getting repaired for one thing or another by me! The worst was the "Electrical gremlins" as stated previously in the thread. I had a hell of time finding ground faults and problems with everything you could imagine. Sadly...not a very relaiable vehicle and I am a dedicated Ford enthusiast...

Brand new Nikes.....Running as a fast as I can de udder way................:eek:

Thanks all for the advice.

Bruce

SHAME ON YOU!
Nikes from some poor little slave child labouring over a hot table glueing the shoes together...and for a whole buck seventy five a day to boot!:D

oh really? I always assumed the Probe 2.5 and the duratec 2.5 in my parents Contour was basically the same engine. I know someone with a 3.0 Duratec swap in a Contour and it hauls the ~~~ thats why I was thinking of that swap but I didn't know. I thought Duratec motors are Mazda motors? I know the Duratec 2.0 in my 05 Focus WAS a Mazda motor. just differant 2.5s I guess. dumb ~~~~. then again the 2.0 Zetec in my ZX2 is not the same as a 2.0 Zetec in a focus. block, heads you name it you can't even swap them! Ford and its changing every little thing for no good reason right!

Back