Questions about 28" slicks

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
I'm wanting to buy a set of 28" slicks for my turbo car, but not sure of exactly what size to get and what wheels to use. Right now I'm racing with a pretty well worn set of 26" X 10.0" X 15" M/T ET Drags mounted on 15" LX wheels.

I want the 28" tires mainly to get more MPH out of each gear, but better off the line traction would also be nice. I've still got stock bolt patterns and stock brakes, so there isn't much to pick from on the wheels. I guess the main question is should I stick with the rather narrow 15" LX wheels I'm using now for a taller sidewall or go to the wider 16" stock SC wheels and give up some sidewall height for a better contact patch ? I've heard good things about the Hoosier quick time pros, so that's the brand I'm most interested in.

What are you guys who are running 28" tires doing ?

David

I know MT makes the ET Streets in a 28" that will fit on our stock rim, but I don't think they make an ET Drag that will. If memory serves, they have a 27" tire but for a 15" wheel.

And if it matters, Todd was trying to sell Kevin's old Bogarts if you are looking for a different wheel then the stock one. That doesn't answer your tire question, I know, but I didn't know if you were thinking about going different then stock wheels as well.

Ira

I know MT makes the ET Streets in a 28" that will fit on our stock rim, but I don't think they make an ET Drag that will. If memory serves, they have a 27" tire but for a 15" wheel.

And if it matters, Todd was trying to sell Kevin's old Bogarts if you are looking for a different wheel then the stock one. That doesn't answer your tire question, I know, but I didn't know if you were thinking about going different then stock wheels as well.

Ira

Ira,

Todd who ? Were Kevin's Bogarts drilled for a stock bolt pattern ?

David

David, if you were to go up from 15", I think that you would find the selection for pure track tires such as the E-T Drag to be somewhat limited. The extra 1/2" of width on the 16" SC wheels isn't worth making a change IMO.

Having said that, Hoosier does offer 28.0 x 10.0 x 16" in their drag slick lineup, it's listed for 8 - 10" wheels, so squeezing on to a 7" should be possible:

https://www.hoosiertire.com/Drtire.htm

cheers
Ed N.

My dad runs the 28x11.5x16 et streets on his m112'd marauder on 16x7.5 mustang v6 wheels. They are wearing pretty evenlly at a cold pressure of 17#'s no tubes. It hooks well with a best 60' time of 1.68. Would prolly run a lower pressure but it gets a little hairy on the big end in the 4300# car. I'll let you know how they hold up to the 3k stall converter we just put in it when we get it to the track.

Depends on the pressure you are willing to run them at. I think you need to find someone running that tire to discuss it with though as the sidewall behavior is different by brand. The 10.5 ET Streets on my 6.5" wheel have a decent contact patch at anything under 15psi. Just making it a greater diameter will increase the contact patch as well.

Ira,

I checked out Todd's post in the classified section. That's way more than I want to spend for tires and wheels that only get used a couple times a year.

Everyone else,

Any more comments on 15" vs 16" or M/T vs Hoosier tires ?

I noticed that M/T ET streets 28 X 11.50 16" only has a tread width of 8.70" where the Hoosier Quick Time Pro of the same size has a 10.0" tread width.
The M/T 28 x 12.50 16" has 10.0" tread width, but I'm not sure if that extra cross section width is going to cause a problem. Couldn't find any ET Drags listed for a 16" wheel.

I'm now leaning toward the M/T ET streets 28.00 x 12.5 X 16 w/ 10.0 tread mounted on a stock SC wheel. Would like to hear from others using a 28" tire before deciding.

David

The 28x11.50x16 MT ET Streets mounted on 7.5" wide wheels i just measured at 9.25".
They are about 75% worn.

Last edited:
The Hoosier bias ply tires have an exhorbantly weak sidewall. By the time you add enough air to calm the sidewall movement down, you have too small of a contact patch.

The narrowest tire is the fastest tire due to weight. If you do a 15" rim, it weighs less and there is more sidewall control. Mickey Thompson bias ply tires have a stiffer sidewall and a softer, temperate compound. Since you don't have any adjusting capabilities, as far as rearend motion, then I recommend getting the 28x9x15.

The contact patch isn't determined by the width of tire touching the ground at a stop. The right way is the contact patch whenever the tires hit the ground off of initial launch. Guess what the correct contact patch from initial launch is on a 28x9. Nine inches!

That's what the idea of finding the right tire pressure is. Too much tire pressure, you won't see the full width of contact patch. Not enough air, the outside edges of the tires hit the ground and the center of the tire doesn't touch the ground until the tire starts growing.

Casey,

The only problem I've got with that tire is the reduced tread width. It's only 8.6" as compared to the 9.6" I've got now. True...I'm not getting a full contact patch (less 3/8" each side) because of the narrow wheels I'm using. But if these 28 x 9 x 15 tires lose any contact patch because of rim width, I think I'll be losing ground.

Wondering if I would be better off going to a 16" SC wheel (1/2" wider) and using a 28" x 12.5 x 16 ET street with a 10" tread width ? The compound is a little harder and the sidewalls are a little shorter than what your reccomending, but I should get a better contact patch than what I'm using now.

David

Last edited:
Right now I'm racing with a pretty well worn set of 26" X 10.0" X 15" M/T ET Drags mounted on 15" LX wheels.

David

How well do they fit?

I'm wanting to get the 8.5" wide tires, but thought the 10" would be to wide.
I guess not if thats what you have on there.

How well do they fit?

I'm wanting to get the 8.5" wide tires, but thought the 10" would be to wide.
I guess not if thats what you have on there.

IMO, the 15" LX wheel is too narrow, but they fit okay.

http://members.tccoa.com/dneibert/dayton2007.jpg

Ira,

I try to keep pressure between 17 and 19 PSI. A couple pounds less and the tires feel like jello and it's hard to steer coming off the line...couple pounds more and they spin.

David

Last edited:
IMO, the 15" LX wheel is too narrow, but they fit okay.

http://members.tccoa.com/dneibert/dayton2007.jpg

Ira,

I try to keep pressure between 17 and 19 PSI. A couple pounds less and the tires feel like jello and it's hard to steer coming off the line...couple pounds more and they spin.

David

sorry kind of off topic got any more pics of that car and is that your turbo car... sorry if it says somewhere i might have missed it..:rolleyes: ;)

dave my 27X10.5 et streets on a 16X8.5 wheels worked good enough for 1.47 60 foots. I would not run wider than a 28X11.5 on a SC wheel. i think a 11.5 would work better than the 12.5, especially since you don't like the wiggle of slicks.

dave my 27X10.5 et streets on a 16X8.5 wheels worked good enough for 1.47 60 foots. I would not run wider than a 28X11.5 on a SC wheel. i think a 11.5 would work better than the 12.5, especially since you don't like the wiggle of slicks.

Yeah I'm thinking the 12.5" tire may not be such a good idea either...I like that 28"x11.5"x16" DOT tire a lot better than the 28"x 9"x15"ET Drag. If I go 16" I'll be able to keep the tires I've got now for racing the 91 without nitrous and I've still got the MT ET drag radials mounted on 17" Cobra Rs for use with street gas boost levels on the turbo car.

Thanks to all who contributed.

David

Back