Problems after head swap

6pak2go

I just got done putting P&P heads on my '91 5-speed. I am now in the tuning stages and am having some problems to which I hope someone might have some ideas.

To start things off I know I have a slight vacuum leak through the supercharger components. Also, the threads on the passenger header to cat stud is stripped so I have a severe leak in the exhaust which makes my car sound like a tractor and run extremely rich. Lots of black smoke out of tailpipes.

The problem is a very high temp. throughout my intire intake tract after only 2 to 3 minutes tops of running time. My radiator was cool, and my temp guage had not come up yet, however the surface temp. of my intercooler, TB, intercooler tubes, and supercharger arehot enough to where you can barely touch them for more than a second. I am completely baffled about this, and any help would be greatly appriciated.

Brandon
91' SC 5-speed
B&M short throw shifter, flowmaster cat back, removed air silencer, P&P heads and intake
Best ET: 15.01@90.73 before heads and intake or exhaust.

hey did you remove your cats????
if your catalytic converters are clogged your engine is going to be running very hot.

Cats have not been romoved yet. I dont really think that is the case, because one the cat is not hooked up to the header on the passenger side. I have to replace the studs because they are stripped. I know that it is running real rich because of that. Im just curious why my TB and intake tract would be so hot.

Brandon

Sounds like your low on coolant and have a big pocket of air trapped in the engine.

Did you loosen the burp plug thingy above the thermostat housing to remove the air ?

Did you change the thermostat ? If so are you sure it's not in backwards.

Use some carb cleaner to find the vacuum leaks and seal them with Permatex orange high temp RTV. It will run terrible until you fix the leaks.

Good luck, David

Back