PDA

View Full Version : How to prep a car for paint.

DanzajaxTX
05-23-2007, 10:49 PM
I have a 92 SC. My college car. Its rough, but ive got a lot of nostalgia built up in it so im willing to put in the work. Its got its fair share of dings and dents and around 150k mi.

My question is, what should i do to prepare it for a good paint job. Im willing to spring the dough for a good paint. Its currently silver, and I would like to keep it silver.

What would a good shop do to prepare my car? (Does anyone know a good shop in the SA,tx Area?). Should i remove all the trim, interior, engine accessories?

I have some roll pans coming in and i plan on cutting out the old rusty ones and welding those in.

I have no major damage, just alot of dings and i need a new drivers door. What about the Plastic that runs down the seam between the rear quarters to the rear window. Can/should those be removed? Will a good shop repaint my side skirts separately?

I have ordered a book on prepping bodywork but I still dont know what goes into painting a car with as much plastic as an SC.

The front window is shot and needs to be replaced, should i remove all the glass? What about the trunk, doors, hood? You guys with the front page cars, what did you do to prep your car?

I am absolutely paranoid that it will look like a terrible respray and i will be heartbroken when my car looks like a MACCO 90$ special. I bought this car in 2001 with 3000$ I scraped together. Its saved my life multiple times (re. 360 across 4 icy lances of traffic, jump a curb and bury it up to the sun roof in a snow bank) and most people would probably junk a car in its situation. Now I'm out of college and make some dough that its time to put on a retirement cruise and not out to pasture. Oh, btw, its a Michigan car. How do i save my ride?

Thanks in advance.
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5475/dsc0087smallib2.th.jpg (http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0087smallib2.jpg)
-DZ

Shibbykins
05-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Im in SA,TX.

The base autoshop says there is a guy downtown that does a good job for cheap but i havnt looked into it.

J

sail7seas
05-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Perhaps link below:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85615&highlight=paint

and try 'Search' feature for paint in title, above.

Brad Klein
05-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Well mine is sitting in a body shop right now alot of the interior is out the side glass is out but they left the windsheild and back window in all moldings are off and so is the body kit. They are finishing the body work to the front and when its done it will be ready for paint. I expect to have it back by the end of June cause they are using it as fill in work.

Remember you get what you pay for my buddy owns his shop and I had another friend stop by they quoted him $2500 to do a complete respray with a pearl on his 300zx and that included removing everything which is a great deal. He got the same quote from a differnt shop but they were gonna mask everything off and paint it plain white.

joshbea6
05-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Mine is down to nothing more than the uni-body. All panels are off (i.e. doors, hood, moonroof, trunk. All suspension is gone, all interior is out, new floor pans put in. Car is going to get dipped to get rid of all sound deadening, all paint, all rust, then car will be worked on, all cracks welded, frame strengthened, IRS rebuilt and strengthened, car painted.

Figure that I'll have close to 25K in the car by the time it is all said and done.

Was quoted here as $3500 for just paint alone...no bodywork.

DanzajaxTX
05-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the input. That link is exactly what I wanted to know. I just need to find a reputable paint shop in SA now. Then start taking it apart piece by piece.

Brad Klein
05-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Mine is down to nothing more than the uni-body. All panels are off (i.e. doors, hood, moonroof, trunk. All suspension is gone, all interior is out, new floor pans put in. Car is going to get dipped to get rid of all sound deadening, all paint, all rust, then car will be worked on, all cracks welded, frame strengthened, IRS rebuilt and strengthened, car painted.

Figure that I'll have close to 25K in the car by the time it is all said and done.

Was quoted here as $3500 for just paint alone...no bodywork.

Wouldnt it been easier and cheaper just to buy a Southern car I know these are great cars to own but I dont think I would ever go through all that trouble unless I was planning on taking it to the auction and getting a couple hundred grand for it. But hey its your car all Im gonna say is have fun its one way to learn your car inside and out.

$3500 isnt a bad price around here its hard to find a shop that will do a full paint they make all their money on wrecked cars and dont want to waste their time.

joshbea6
05-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Wouldnt it been easier and cheaper just to buy a Southern car I know these are great cars to own but I dont think I would ever go through all that trouble unless I was planning on taking it to the auction and getting a couple hundred grand for it. But hey its your car all Im gonna say is have fun its one way to learn your car inside and out.

$3500 isnt a bad price around here its hard to find a shop that will do a full paint they make all their money on wrecked cars and dont want to waste their time.

Brad,

Well I couldn't get a better deal than the one that I got on this 1990 SC. With all of the work that I have done on the car thus far, I'm still under $3000 put into the car, and that includes putting in the new floor pans, buying the 1995 donor wreck, and all of the parts that I've gotten thus far for the conversion.

I figure that by the time I'm done, I'll have about $20K or so in the car, but it will be done the way that I want it.

Besides....I like the car....so it has sentimental value too...