Fan running wild

ThunderDave

The outside temp was a balmy 59 or so and it was about 5:15 am when I got home this morning. I turned off the car and I heard the cooling fan running. The temp gauge was reading below the N and I didn't think it was hot enough to bring the fan on. Should it have been running after the car was turned off?

And should it have come on with the engine at that low of a temperature?

Usually, it doesn't come on till it gets past the O and it's never run before after turning the car off.

Hmmm. Honda's about the only make I've seen that runs the fan after the ignition is off.
I guess I'd think the relay is sticking, but I'm not entirely sure how you'd diagnose that or replicate the problem. (assuming this is a new and rare thing) The black box that controls the fan is in between the pass. headlight and airbox hanging by one 7mm bolt from the upper radiator saddle. I would think there would be a relay someplace else, because I don't recall any large gauge wire running in and out of that box.

I dunno:confused:

Took the kids to school this morning and went to the store and back home and no problems. Yeah, it sounds like a relay or something sticking, but not only was it odd that it ran after I turned off the car, but that it was on when the car wasn't that hot.

It should not be running with the ignition turned off. Suspect the ICRM (located behind passenger side headlight) has a sticking fan relay.

David

some turboed cars do this to cool off the turbo after ignition off , dont know about superchargers tho :confused:

Back