cutting #14 wire for low speed

92sclikenew

what wire is the #14 (like color or something so i can find it)

and also some one said a while back when doing this the high speed will still come on ok..... so will it shut the low speed off so it dont burn it up(that is when the high speed comes on..)...:rolleyes: ;)

what wire is the #14 (like color or something so i can find it)

and also some one said a while back when doing this the high speed will still come on ok..... so will it shut the low speed off so it dont burn it up(that is when the high speed comes on..)...:rolleyes: ;)

the connector on the icrm is numbered. after cutting the #14 wire if you run a jumper wire from the icrm side of the cut #14 wire to the #17 wire the low speed fan will cut off when the high speed fan kicks on. i did a search and found out this info and i then did it on my 89 sc.

What is the purpose/advantage of this modification?

for the ones who have problems with the coolant temp. being high for whatever reason cutting the #14 wire allows the low speed fan to run constantly and splicing into the #17 wire allows the low speed fan to kick off when the high speed fan wants to kick in.

Last edited:
Purpose

The reason I did it was my 93sc seemed to be running fairly hot most of the time. I found that when I did the change my car ran at or under the N. I ran the car this way for 2 years without any issue. I didn't jumper the #14 to #17 but it's a good idea as I've been told that if the high speed fan does come on and you have 14 cut this can overload the circuit. Just remember that this means your low speed fan is on all the time and you'll probably wear out the fan a little quicker. But it's better then running your engine hot all the time.
Your low speed fan comes on around 221 degrees and your high speed comes on around 228.

JT

why do some sc's run hot and some run cold but all are the same... that makes no sense...

also in the slice to you do like a T to the #17 wire to hook the #14 up you know what i mean....

Last edited:
low speed comes on about 212 i think 220 for high....but ya somewhere around there.

Low speed comes on at 220 and goes off at 217. If the temp keeps going up the high speed takes over at 228 and shuts off at 225, with the low speed kicking back on at 224 and goes off at 217.

Thats what is in our EEC's.

Right now I'm running a 195 tstat in my car, and with the EEC tuner I've got my low speed coming on at 200 and going off at 197, and the high speed comes on at 208 going off at 205 with the low speed kicking back on at 204.

or why not hide a toggle switch down by the drivers feet and tie into the fans power wire. then you can chose if you want the fan to run all the times or let it run as it's programmed. be sure to find a power source that shuts off automatically when the key is turned off

I have to ask this question again.......

Why not just repalce the IRCM and be done with it.....:confused:

I thought the same thing so I bought a junkyard one and it worked fine except my car still got hot :(

So I highly doubt both are bad. Fans still kick on but just seems like it's getting too hot, I dunno I just run my fan all the time except when I first start the car.

or why not hide a toggle switch down by the drivers feet and tie into the fans power wire. then you can chose if you want the fan to run all the times or let it run as it's programmed. be sure to find a power source that shuts off automatically when the key is turned off

why do all that when just cutting the wire and splicing makes my '89 run nice and cool. i didn't want to run wires and hook up a toggle switch by my feet:rolleyes: this isn't my daily driver so the limited amount of time i drive it won't wear the fan out anytime soon. short of getting it changed with a chip i run it the way i have it now, maybe later when i finish installing my next round of major mods on my '94 sc and i put the old stuff on the '89 i'll get a chip and program it to come on at a lower temp.

I did this to mine after it ran between m and A now it never goes above O even when its 100 deg's outside cooling issue solved for me. I dont even worry about my temp anymore I use live watching the temp

I run mine all the time its been 4 yrs now and my taurus fan is still holdn up.

it even blows more air than the stocker smaller more blades diff pitch .

If the ICRM isn't functioning correctly the #14 and #17 wire thing won't work. Even though I have the SCT chip burned with lower fan settings, I still have a pair of manual controllers wired up to over ride those settings if I want to. Here's a diagram of how to wire it up so that the low speed shuts down when the high speed comes on.

fan%20relays.jpg

David

Back